Ikiru vs. Apocalypse Now

4 comments

8 comments

Both are a little too long, but they're also both fantastic. It's a really tough choice because Ikiru has scenes that make me cry, and Apocalypse Now has The Flight of the Valkyries and Marlon Brando. I think I'm going with Apocalypse Now.

Ikiru has many moments that are quite touching, but Apocalypse Now is one of the all-time great war movies. I'm afraid Ikiru has just been terminated with extreme prejudice.

I would also call Ikiru one of the all-time greats, but in this matchup, I think Apocalypse Now is the better film.

Ikiru really had me on board until the last forty five minutes or so. I had a real issue with the framing device used in that third act and it made a pretty timeless film seem very, very dated. I'll need to revisit it again I'm sure. As is, Apocalypse Now is definitely the better film in my book.

I gotta go Ikiru here. AN needs a rewatch....but I just can't go against Kurosawa here...

Apocalypse Now is an interesting film but overlong. The story loses focus in the middle, following the opening half hour up the point where we see Brando. His performance is undeniably ingenious, the world's greatest actor once again proves why he is regarded as such but Akira Kurosawa's "Ikiru" is something altogether for me. Having only just seen it, it is one of the most emotionally affecting, heartbreaking yet spiritually uplifting films with a positive message about the critique of life. "Ikiru" may be five to ten minutes overlong, especially in the last act/segment but the film maintains its emotional status thanks to superb execution by Kurosawa and Takashi Shimura's mindblowingly perfect performance.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Hmm close but probably Apocalypse Now

Kurosawa's made some classics - Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Yojimbo. Seven Samurai's, like, three-and-a-half hours long, and I get through it in one sitting every single time. Not an ounce of fat on that movie and it never lags. Ikiru's kind of slow to begin with, but there's some touching stuff in there, so I was willing to forgive. But the final act is just tedious. It's just...tedious. There, I said it, heartless, Bambi-killing son of a bitch that I am. I can see where some people could find Apocalypse Now overlong, but I'm not one of them. It's a long, fucked up journey, but it's not a tedious, fucked up journey.

"Ikiru" for not being as bloated

Both bored me but Apocalypse Now impressed me more. Ikiru is so slow and so small I don't know why it's in the top 20 on flickchart. Apocalypse Now wins easily.

both are great, but ikiru is the only one i love

I personally loved Apocalypse Now more. From the gorgeous aesthetic to the sharp critique of American Imperialism to its haunting story of madness, the movie just fucking rules. But Ikiru is a fantastic movie as well.