Brokeback Mountain vs. Annie Hall

0 comments

1 comments

This is by far the hardest film challenge for me personally. ANNIE HALL is a classic. In fact, it actually won the Best Picture Oscar on my first birthday, April 3, 1978. I feel like it and I are meant to be. It is Woody Allen's finest film and the two characters are so well drawn and so well acted by Diane Keaton and even Allen himself. It is a relationship that was doomed from the start but yet they both forge ahead with it in hopes that the attraction they feel for each other is enough to overcome their differences. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN on the other hand floored me when I first saw it. It is the best gay-themed film ever made and a groundbreaker on so many levels. Every element of the film comes together to create a tone that brilliantly compliments the lean yet brilliant script. Ang Lee outdid himself and Jake Gyllenaal and Heath Ledger are so well matched in their impossible love. Each film consistently moves me to tears and inspires me no matter how many times I see them. They are easily my favorite movies of all time and to choose between them is rough. That said, I choose ANNIE HALL out of sheer respect. It was way ahead of its time and I have to give the love to a film that has stood up so well after so many years. Perhaps in 20 years, I will say something different but if I am still on Flickchart 20 years from now, someone needs to take my computer away from me.