Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind vs. The Truman Show

20 comments

16 comments

carreys two finest i'd say. probably largely down to the directing and writing, and the fact that he wasn't being a complete cunt on screen. eternal outstrips though

pts
PTS

Dumb and Dumber is my favorite Carrey movie but these two movies are his best acting performances. Truman Show is an underrated movie but I still have to go with Eternal Sunshine.

The Truman Show is better in concept, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind in execution.

Wow this is tough. Probably two of Jim Carrey's best films ever. Spotless Mind barely edges out

I agree that these are Carrey's 2 best films. I remember really connecting with The Truman Show when it first came out, but I haven't seen it since then. I have a feeling that it won't have aged well. Going w/Eternal Sunshine.

Yes, this are two of Jim Carrey's best movies, but I prefer Eternak Sunshine

yes, these two are absolutely Jim Carrey's best performances. Eternal Sunshine wins in my opinion though, not by much, but it does.

JRM
JRM

Among the few Jim Carrey's movies I like. In fact, I love these two movies. For now, I'm going with Truman Show, mostly for its entertaining concept. I also found it easier to get into from the get-go.

The portrayal of human emotion was very well-captured in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and more over the artistic functionality of the film was terrific. You could tell that the director was passionate about making this film. The Truman Show had a great story but it can't trump Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Two of my all time favourite movies. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them and have a hard time deciding between them. Both are wonderful concepts, both are well filmed and acted. I guess for no particular reason, The Truman Show is marginally ahead. I have a soft spot for it. But both are equally nice :)

Eternal Sunshine gets better with each viewing, but The Truman Show, I saw 3 times in the cinema in one week. I was,and still am head over heels in love with that film.

Wow, this one's difficult for a true Carrey Fan. Both excellent performances. I think I'll have to go with Gondry's Eternal Sunshine... Even though I love love love The Truman Show also.

Eternal Sunshine wins for me.

Two of my top 22 on flickchart. Sunshine eeks it out...because we can all relate trying to escape heartbreak.

Where have you gone Jim Carrey? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

Eternall Sunshine is the best movie more original best acting, best execution

Truman Show was shocking, inspiring and amazing. Such a clever film. Eternal Sunshine seemed cluttered. Truman Show wins

With reality television programming now such a big part of popular culture (lamentably), The Truman Show looks less like a movie and more like a prophecy for what was to come. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind can't compete with that. Cue the sun!

I could barely make it through Eternal Sunshine and the praise really baffles me, considering the number of top-ten-of-the-decade lists it has topped. There's this firm where you can erase your memories of past relationships and... ? That's it? That's your concept? This shit ain't Inception, even from the working and execution of a premise with obvious complications standpoint. I do think The Truman Show was way ahead of its time but let's face it... nothing could've really prepared us for Kim Kardashian and Jersey Shore.

Truman Show is Carrey's best performance.

I adore The Truman Show. Eternal Sunshine is great, but Truman wins.

nice matchup. Truman though

Eternal Sunshine is what I would say but I need to re-watch The Truman Show.

The Truman Show seemed to be more about making a point, whereas Eternal Sunshine was more of an emotional roller coaster, and incredibly human in concept. Going with Eternal Sunshine, but if you ask me tomorrow I'll probably say The Truman Show..

Eternal Sunshine wins

Eternal Sunshine might just be my favorite Jim Carry film

Woah this is tough. I think I'll go with Eternal Sunshine but it's incredibly close.

Jim Carrey's best films - by far! Both are fantastic but I prefer Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Both these movies have great original concept and have the 2 best Jim Carrey performance. I am siding with eternal sunshine.

Definitely Truman Show

Jim Carrey is better in Eternal Sunshine and I think it;s definitely the better more thought provoking film. It took a while for me to get into The Truman Show, but I ended up enjoying it. Still this is really no contest for me.

James Bartholomew Carey, where have you gone?

Truman Show for better pacing, world-building, and less pretentiousness

Despite the majority's opinion, I think Truman Show is better.

Hated eternal sunshine! I like truman show though

Hmmm..... it's drama versus romance. For Sunshine being the best romance movie I've ever seen, I'll give it the win. Altho truman's pretty dang good too.... quite tough.

These are my two favorite movies starring Jim Carrey. Even though his best performance is probably Man on the Moon, these are just his best movies in general.

esotsm by far.

The Truman Show>Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

ear
ear

Two great films but Eternal Sunshine is a special kind of great.

Both in my top 20 of all time, but Eternal is in my top 5.

ear
ear

Eternal over Truman but love them both.