Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind vs. Memento

19 comments

28 comments

pretty interesting match up. one trying to remember, the other trying to forget. i loved them both and there pretty much even for me, but eternal sunshine is more my style. couldn't go wrong either way though.

Major mental constipation going on right now. I agree with Neonbear, it's really 50-50 for me. I'm also going with Eternal Sunshine *brain implosion*.

I love Eternal Sunshine, while I admire Memento.

Toughest decision so far. Eternal Sunshine has been a long-time favorite, but I think I was more intrigued watching Memento.

Eternal Sunshine hits me hard on a personal level, where as Memento is just an awesome, thought-provoking film. So yeah, Eternal Sunshine it is.

Don't worry, Memento. I got yer back.

Eternal Sunshine owns.

JRM
JRM

I say Memento.

Favorite film of all time wins over second favorite.

Part of me knows Eternal Sunshine was a clever, well made film but I was never entertained by it and I didn't end up caring for the characters. Memento is one of the most thought provoking films I've seen and it's fiendishly clever. Obviously it comes down to personal taste but I think Memento is a far better film.

Both movies are about trying to forget something, but I really love the visual style of Eternal Sunshine, and the story really hits me closer to home as well.

As great as Memento is, Eternal Sunshine is about characters and love and emotion. Memento is just about revenge.

Nin
Nin

The finale of Eternal Sunshine includes probably my favourite scene in any movie. Having found each other again after being memory wiped, the delivery of taped interview pre-wipe threatens their new relationship. As they sit down and listen, they hear not only their past but a likely painful future for their new love. Eternal Sunshine is a work of genius, Memento is merely good.

I am a man!

I want to like Eternal Sunshine but I just cannot connect with it. Memento engages from the start.

Memento by far.

Memento wins pretty easy in my opinion.

To great movies, both are so clever and told in original and intriguing ways; however, Eternal Sunshine wins narrowly because of the personal connection it requires to the both the plot and characters, something lacking in Memento.

Picking between these two is like a kick in the nuts. LOVE both. Sunshine just connects with me that few movies can...

Eternal Sunshine.. is a really nice film but Memento is just staggeringly good.

hum... very hard, Im gonna vote for Memento couse its one of those movies that you could watch manny times without getting tired :D

*easily

"Feelings? Nothing more than feelings? You people disgust me." You see that? I just quoted a crappy chick flick to go all reductio ad absurdum on Eternal Sunshine of a Woman's Mind in a Man's Body.

And then I had to give you the CliffsNotes to guide you through the satire. Why? Because I'm caring like that. And because I distrust you capacity to read between the lines. You people disgust me.

your* Fucking phone.

Both great, but Memento wins.

Eternal was a pleasant surprise; an emotional ride. However, I have no desire to see it again. Memento is on a whole 'nother level.

Eternal Sunshine seemed a bit crammed in and confusing. I didn't really enjoy it too much. Memento, I thoroughly enjoyed with its fascinating structure and great all round execution. An easy choice for me: Memento

Yeah, Memento is the better film by far. Eternal didn't connect with me that much.

Both great, but this is a somewhat easy choice

Memento.

When it comes to films about people wanting to erase an unfortunate thing from their life, Eternal Sunshine is the champion.

Love both, but Memento is superior.

Spotless mind is creative and well done but I think i have to go with Memento .... Its just a bit more interesting and is better in different ways

eternal sunshine

love both but memento wins

Two of my absolute favourites but I gotta go with Memento here

Yeah I don't know. Both are great. I'll take Sunshine as well..

I love eternal sunshine it is a nice story pritty mind bending as well but memento takes this match.I won't say that it is a better movie but i like it more

It is seriously almost a tie for me. If it was possible to put these two movies into the #1 slot, I would. BUT, movies tend to be better to me if I connect with them, and while I connect with both of them in my own way, Eternal Sunshine moves me on a whole 'nother level.

Memento by a hair

Momento is one of my all-time favorites. Sunshine may have Memento's ingenuity, combined with romance and good development, but Memento has a much stronger impact with its powerful ending.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind had become my new #1 of all time (after not even seeing until late 2016). It is visually stunning, devastatingly emotional, and beautiful. Easy choice.

Memento is a little more creative, which I like when it comes to movies that challenge your ability to pay attention and figure out what is happening.

both are excellent, but i didn't connect with sunshine like i do most of kaufman's work

ear
ear

Memento was such a mindbender I give it the nod here.

Both are great mind bending films, but Memento is the higher effort here.

Eternal Sunshine has nice concepts about relationships but it was a little too sappy for my taste. Memento is definitely more in line with my type of film!

Eternal sunshine was more fun but felt a bit too short. Memento was more interesting so it wins