Alien vs. Event Horizon

6 comments

2 comments

I like this match up. That's why I set it up for. Anywho, "Event Horizon" is one very creepy film. It has a shipload of unnerving scenes that do not sit well with me (in a good way). It's too bad that over 30 minutes of disturbing footage had to be cut from the final film because "Event Horizon" could have been an even more effective horror film with it. I have to go with "Alien" simply because it's as close to perfection that a film can get.

I'm surprised this match-up hasn't received more attention considering the two films in question. Event Horizon is clearly heavily steeped in the Alien formula; Paul W.S. Anderson admitted the latter to being one his favourite films and "default viewing" film. While it goes without saying that Alien is better and Event Horizon is one of the many inferior films which have tried to immitate it over the years, Event Horizon is my favourite P.W.S.A film, if only because it is well designed and at least attempts psychological horror and profoundity, unlike some of his later films which exhibit varying degrees of entertainment but are largely devoid of artistic merit. That being said, EH could have been a genuinely brilliant film if it had cut back on the deliberate cheesiness and been handled with a bit more maturity. As it is, it's a well-designed horror film which has it's moments of clever, tense pacing (verdict still out on whether the gore is suitably shocking or distractingly over-the-top) which often get cut off by dodgy acting and occasionally horrible writing, and sits roughly in the middle of my Flickchart. Alien wins.

Event Horizon seemed somewhat of a retread of Ridley Scott's Alien, but turns out to be a different concept altogether. It was a thoroughly enjoyable film, but I just couldn't overlook the sporadic cheesiness, crappy acting and unnecessary shots. Alien, on the other hand, is the clear winner here. Not only inspiring movies like its opponent here, but also managing to incorporate "real" characters and believable settings into a distant future.

Everything that was good about Event Horizon was stolen from better films like 2001 and Alien. I'll stick with the original.

I guess I'll be the first to say Event Horizon. I guess you could argue that Alien paved the way for movies like "EH" and so it's a better movie, but as someone living in a world where they both exist I like Horizon better. Alien is too much buildup and not enough payoff for me.

Event Horizon was kinda boring, cheesy, and over the top. Aw, c'mon; Hell is in SPACE, btw. Not even close.

Event Horizon took Alien's idea of being trapped in a figurative hell a bit literally. Still loved it.

Event Horizon is very underrated. That being said, it's obviously no match for Alien

ear
ear

Alien rules here.