Night of the Living Dead vs. Dead Alive

2 comments

4 comments

Dead Alive is funny and insanely gross, but it starts to wear thin toward the end. Night of the Living Dead is a bit cheesy, but it does manage to be pretty creepy at times. I like them both, but I guess Night of the Living Dead made a more lasting impression on me.

I'd rather watch Dead Alive, to be honest. I can appreciate Night's place in history, but I'd choose Dawn, Shaun, Dawn ('04), or 28 Days Later over it any day of the week. It's just nowhere near as creepy as I'm sure it was when it came out. So, Dead Alive for me, with all due respect to Mr. Romero.

I still find Night creepy, obvious lack of "freshness" of a movie made half a century ago aside. Something about the black & white made it feel real to me.

Oh, and it has one of the most nihilistic endings I've ever seen. That is one cruel gag to end the movie with for its time. Or for any time.

I'm going with Dead Alive...but didn't really "love" either...

I'm going with Dead Alive / Braindead as well. Maybe I sound like an impatient, popcorn action flick-lovin' 90s kid, but I thought Night of the Living Dead was boring. Really boring. I appreciate it for what it did to the zombie genre, but besides that, the acting is barely okay and it's just not entertaining, or scary, or gripping. Dead Alive on the other hand is one of the most entertaining horror films ever made, so this is an easy pick.