Striptease vs. Showgirls

3 comments

1 comments

on 9/6/2011

i think this comes down to how much flesh was on show... just being honest

on 9/6/2011

Showgirls is train wreck entertainment. So bad it's bizarre. Striptease? Not so much...and definitely not enough Demi...

on 9/6/2011

I haven't watched Striptease in years, but it's definitely not as hilarious and exuberant as Showgirls. Sure, you could just base your entire evaluation of these films on the volume of nudity alone, but how sad that would be. It's like rating an action film based on the number of explosions. I guess there's nothing technically wrong with that, but such an approach will undoubtedly miss many of the little nuances that make a film special. Either way, Showgirls would still be the better motion picture.

on 4/29/2012

Great matchup! I will have to say it though. Showgirls is such a disaster that there in next to nothing redeeming about it. The fact that I think its better than Transformers and Twilight: New Moon should say something. Striptease, on the other hand though, is based on one of the funniest books released in the 1990s (Written by Carl Hiaasen). The movie was never going to deliver up the same promise as the book, but more often that not, the movie manages to be laugh out loud funny when Demi Moore is not derailing it with her drama. Ving Rhames and Robert Patrick are absolutely hysterical whenever they are on screen. In the end, please keep in mind, I would never recommend either picture. Striptease wins!

on 4/29/2012

Showgirls isn't really a "disaster" in any sense of the word. It's not poorly made, and it's certainly not a bad-looking film. People can criticize the acting, maybe, if they want to take the movie too seriously. As entertainment, Showgirls can't be accused of being half-assed. It's loaded with funny lines. Maybe it's too tacky for some, or maybe campiness isn't their thing. But Showgirls is not a disaster by any reasonable definition. I need to rewatch Striptease. I don't dislike the movie, but it's not as exhilaratingly nuts as Showgirls. It's occasionally funny, but, yeah, the drama does get in the way, if I recall.

on 4/29/2017

Interesting comparison. The main deficit of both Striptease and Showgirls is the performance of their lead actresses. But if you remove Demi Moore's overly serious and "nakedly dignified" performance, the remainder of the film might pass as a light comic caper. Take Elizabeth Berkeley's alternately stiff and spasmodic acting out of Showgirls, and the rest is still excessive, inane and just plain ugly. So, I give the nod, reluctantly, to Striptease.