Inception vs. Paprika

3 comments

4 comments

It's easy to see understand just why Paprika fans will accuse Nolan of plagiarism. Inception has clearly borrowed it's themes (and even imagery) from various sources, none more glaringly obvious than Satoshi Kon's Paprika. That's not to say Chris Nolan hasn't done something remarkable with those themes, NO! No, but the dime-a-dozen, shilling, obsequious shouts of "original, original!!" that are comcomit with Inception's success are wearing dangerously thin. Paprika is a less overt, more ethereal 'eperience' than Inception (with its heavy-handedness) could ever hope to be. It envelops the viewer in a trippy haze, drags you in with its powers of mind-fucking and leaves you in a harmonious state of satori. Alright, so that last bit was a tad hyperbolic. Still, Paprika has some modicum of subtlety. However, I still can't decide which is more entertaining as I've only seen Inception the one time.

Forgot to mention that Paprika has a sexy ass theme-tune, yo. (It should say *see/understand* up there and that bastard, renegade apostrophe in my first comment does not belong there...*its*. Fucking typos.)

I'd say Paprika wins this one. I do love both and it's clear that Nolan was inspired by Paprika (with good reason), but I'm not crying plagiarism.

Stylistically and thematically, too, Inception did adopt many components (subconscious issues, architectural design, time and space theories) from Paprika... just not enough to justify the accusations of plagiarism. There are similarities but Paprika actually wanted to explore the scope and potential of dreams, whereas Inception mixed the unavoidable surrealism of the idea with cautious realism. I thought Inception had a clearer blueprint to the concept although it's also the one that's slave to excessive exposition. Had a fantastic time with each of the two but at the moment, it's Inception.

I think dreams are a common theme in fantasy, speculative fiction, and movies, and the timing between these two movies is mostly coincidence. Anyway... I prefer Paprika, because it's more fun and entertaining. Inception, like many of Nolan's films... not so much.

Paprika is much less self-serious and more creative with it's themes and ability involving dreams. A better movie than Inception.

Paprika > Every Rubbish Nolan film.

Inception is superior, the same way Black Swan is better than Perfect Blue

Why? Because Inception and Black Swan aren't animated?

Paprika is more dreamy