Inception vs. GoodFellas

11 comments

19 comments

tough choice man....going with goodfellas this time

Very close, I'm going for Inception.

GoodFellas by a long shot

Two great directors. But to me it's Goodfellas, no contest.

What bothers me about these otherwise awesome flicks is how they're so heavy on exposition. Henry's narration works more as a plot device to explain the mob-world dealings and to move the story forward than a look into the gangster business through his eyes, or as an added dimension to his character. Voice-overs in films like Taxi Driver, Memento, and American Psycho are completely understandable since these are complex, psychological character studies, and they also have the case of the "unreliable narrator" going for them. That's not what GOODFELLAS is about. At least in INCEPTION, you're also engaging with the characters while being spoon-fed the information. Nolan owns Scorsese here.

It's close, but Scorsese prevails.

Rewatched both movies, I now think Goodfellas is most overrated of all the movies I have seen in the top 20, while Inception proudly sits on my top 10.

I didn't engage with a single character in Inception. I didn't care at all about any of them. So all that exposition in Inception was meaningless at best, and annoying at worst. GoodFellas has more of a soul. Way too much narration, that is true. But GoodFellas kept me involved from beginning to end. Nolan completely failed to create anybody worth rooting for or giving the slightest shit about. They were just sterile characters in a sterile environment.

Inception is my favorite movie by Nolan. It's creative, it's smart, it's well made, it's entertaining, and there's pretty much nothing I don't like about it.

Deniro hangs up a telephone with more passion than anything in Inception.

These two movies exemplify movie-making at its very best. I personally prefer Inception. The plot is among the best I've ever seen. Amazing mind... that Nolan.

GoodFellas. No disrespect to Inception, but it's Scorsese's masterpiece we're talking about here.

If I had to pick one of these movies to be the only movie I ever get to watch again, I'd pick: Goodfellas too.

goodfellas easily picks up the win here

I'm more of a Nolan fan than a Scorcese fan, even if the former has started to show signs of fallibility with TDKR and Interstellar. While Goodfellas certainly sold me on the idea that Scorcese was more than just an angry Italian-American whose films were viciously defended by the more tediously macho facets of the cinephile community, and that he could actually make compelling drama and superlatively influential filmmaking out of other angry Italian American's shouting and swearing at each other, I needed very little persuading with Christopher Nolan's self-proclaimed magnum opus. Goodfellas is good, but I prefer Inception as it is not only more my kind of film, but did everything that it needed to do so well that I could overlook some of its more prominent weaknesses, including the lack of interesting characterisation (something which usually bugs me on films). Inception wins.

Good fellas is like a lame godfather, inception is original and dosent have another movie like it.

Inception

Inception takes the cake here. I enjoy GoodFellas but Inception is a better movie.

What hambone88 said. The only glimmers of atmosphere GoodFellas had for me were at moments with Tommy, but that still doesn't get half as good as the atmosphere in Inception, let alone any scene in The Godfather. Inception has a better story, with better execution and though I really like GoodFellas, I cannot see why it gets all the praise it does, hailing it as one of the greatest films of the 90's or let alone the best Scorcese film. The scenes aren't hard hitting as in Raging Bull and not as well crafted as Taxi Driver. Plus the women are shit characters who seem to be there just to be annoying, and have no sense of realism. Inception has blown my mind ever since it comes out so it gets a relatively easy win here.

Nolan has been fuckin' dominating the cinematic landscape for the entire 21st century. The term "they can't all be winners" simply has no meaning because EVERYTHING he does is pure and utter win!

Inception is very amazing but Goodfellas is more rewatchable.

I prefer Inception. Goodfellas is good, great even. But it didn't leave the same impact on me as a film like Inception did!

Goodfellas fuckstomps. Inception was a borefest, bland and one dimensional characters & overly pretentious plot.

Goodfellas, inception is trash.

My #8 vs #14 Inception is a clear masterpiece but when competing with Goodfellas.... No not really

Lmao these marvel guys...

Inception, which easily manages to come in my top 20, is a masterpiece but goodfellas is a... I don't have words to describe the greatness of the best gangster movie of all time which is easily gets into my top 10

Sorry! I made a grammatical mistake by adding is.. Sorry to all of you for that but i didn't want to insert 'is' in between 'which' and 'easily'. My english is well BTW

GF by far even if i loved inception

Inception is trillion times better than GoodFellas

I'm going for Inception

Inception was great fun but Goodfellas is my pick