Brick vs. The Dark Knight

4 comments

6 comments

Both masterfully made films. I think Heath Ledger's performance outshines JGL in Brick, but Brick's screenplay and concept win out.

Oh, Brick totally crushes.

Kinda surprised to see you saying that.

Really? Why? (They're actually only separated by a couple spots on my chart though, so "crushes" might be overselling it.)

Really? Why? (They're actually only separated by a couple spots on my chart though, so "crushes" might be overselling it.)

I dunno. I guess I'm having trouble figuring out what you see in it that makes you like it as much as you do. I love it, personally. There's just nothing about it that screams 'Cleckley'.

High School film with unique and, in its own way, beautiful dialogue.

I think that I need to see Brick again, I can't really remember it too much. It would still lose to The Dark Knight.

Brick is a very well-made film, but Dark Knight crushes.

The Dark Knight is a great movie and the director pulled a fantastic performance out of Heath Ledger. It's clearly the best in the trilogy. But The Dark Knight was made by an established director, a star-studded cast, and with nearly 200 million in the coffers. Brick was made with half a million by a first time director and starred a bunch of young actors playing roles and speaking lines that would have been just silly in anyone else's hands, and it's STILL better than the Dark Knight. No contest, really.

The Dark Knight is superior. Brick is a solid neo-noir but it never becomes anything truly great. As overrated TDK might be its still the best film the superhero genre has ever offered.