The Fly vs. 28 Days Later...

1 comments

6 comments

Experiments going wrong. I like the outcome in 28 Days better.

28 Days Later is great, but The Fly is something else.

The Fly by a little

I'll take Fly here.

Dr. Malcolm!

Just watched 28 Days again last week and I'm switching votes. Both are great.

I loved these two growing up as a teenager. I still do, but having viewed both within the last 12 months (in both cases for the first time in several years), I feel as if there's a classic case of taste changing with age with both of these. Historically I would have gone for The Fly, based largely on Jeff Goldblum's career-defining performance and the deliciously grotesque makeup effects by Chris Wallas and co. That being said, while Cronenburg's direction and Chris Edward Pogue's dialogue hold up well, and Goldblum and Davis's onscreen chemistry is palpable and perfectly compliments their performances, the film lacks the visceral and emotional punch that it used to have. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but it definitely feels a lot smaller and less significant a film than it used to. 28 Days Later has also been dulled a little by time, but not to the same extent. There are Danny Boyle films out there which I would definitely rate higher, but not many, and this one holds up in no small part thanks to the performances of the central cast, particularly Naomi Harris. While Boyle's direction occasionally produces some odd and frustrating camera and music choices, it's a testament to his skill as a director that the film is credited for inspiring countless imitators on Youtube and other platforms with its gritty, low budget, hand-held aesthetics, yet still feeling more polished and impactful than any of them. It's a close one, but 28 Days Later wins it for me.

28 Days Later is one of those best optimum horror films, the fly is most disliked..