The Fly vs. The Thing

5 comments

13 comments

on 6/20/2009

This matchup rules. Two great horror remakes by masters at their craft - Cronenberg and Carpenter. Both amazingly well told stories for what were originally fairly cheesy b-movie material films. It's a really tough choice, but I think I like Goldblum's performance and transformations even better than Roy Arbogast's great effects work on The Thing.

on 7/20/2009

Two of my favorite horror movies. The thing had great atmosphere, but I think the fly edges it because of Jeff Goldblum and the effects work. The ending to the Thing nearly had me siding with it though.

on 8/28/2009

Make-up effects really reached their zenith with these two. Cronenberg is a much, much more interesting filmmaker (to me) than John Carpenter is, but THE THING definitely holds it's own against THE FLY, which was a very mainstream Cronenberg entry. Damn. I honestly think THE THING is scarier, has better effects, and may even be a better entertainment. But a pinch of pathos gives THE FLY an edge. I have no idea which is higher on my list, and I'm actually quite curious...

on 4/1/2011

This is one of the few instances where I'd vote against a Cronenberg creation, especially one as iconic as The Fly. But while both these films were gore-filled and scary, the characters in The Thing remain interesting right up to the end. Goldblum and Davis are great in The Fly, but the last half of the movie is pretty standard 'monster-loves-pretty-girl' stuff.

on 4/1/2011

The Thing is impressively gross, kind of scary and funny (well, the scene with the head makes me laugh). I agree that The Fly runs out of juice toward the end. I like the movie, but it doesn't have any of those "Holy s**t!" moments like The Thing does. Now that I think about it, both have downer sorts of endings. But The Thing creates an ambiguous feeling of doom that has a stronger effect on me. I guess I didn't really care that much about Goldblum's character, and so its conclusion had less of an impact.

on 4/19/2012

Proof positive that remakes can not only be decent, but that they can kick a whole lot of ass. And I'll echo what KingofPain said. The bit with the head cracks me up too and I fucking love the ending. The Fly is excellent and it's always nice to watch a horror movie that genuinely makes me feel something, but The Thing is genre royalty. Gotta go with Carpenter on this one.

on 3/23/2013

Two of the best remakes ever made, certainly the best two that I've seen. As for which is better, I'd have to go with The Fly. I find both enormously enjoyable in their own right, and I think that both are apex Sci-Fi/Horror films, but I don't love The Thing as much as the majority of people seem to. I guess it's more a case of liking The Fly more than it is liking The Thing less; the level of sophistication in character development, screenplay and performances in The Fly just hits a level that I've never seen in horror film before, and Jeff Goldblum definitely gives a career-defining performances. Despite being unbearably tense at times (the blood test scene springs to mind more than most) and having some highly impressive, juicy practical effects, The Thing still has a bunch of characters getting killed off one by one, and it's fairly obvious that Kurt Russell will survive to the end because he's the only one who looks like he's been in enough action movies to do so (although like nevillep and ToryK, I agree that the ending of The Thing is superlative for a suspenseful horror film). When it comes down to it, The Thing is definitely an A grade film, but for me at least, The Fly is an A+.

on 3/23/2013

To of the 80's best horror flicks...I'll go with a SLIGHT lean to The Thing. Barely.

on 10/23/2013

The Fly probably works better as a horror film, but I was more entertained by The Thing. Both absolutely fantastic remakes though.

on 10/13/2014

The Thing is just on another level...

on 2/25/2015

Fantastic 80's matchup. I prefer The Fly.

on 10/10/2016

The Fly is a jewy cocaine/AIDS PSA with some neat practical effects. The Thing is a proper horror movie with some neat practical effects. No-brainer.

on 10/19/2016

The Fly is an amazing, iconic horror film, but The Thing just will always blow my mind a little more. The scene where they're doing the blood tests and a bunch of the guys are tied to the bench... unstoppable tension.

on 10/19/2016

Russell over Goldblum any day...

on 10/19/2016

Extremely Tough choice!!!!, From two of the most interesting, independent and incorruptible filmakers ever existed. I´ve watched both films many times, great atmosphere, SFX, plot, but to my mind, it´s more difficult to empathize with Brundle´s character and his scientific-nerdy argot and so on. Apart from that, the ending of the thing is more ambiguous, debatable and specially apocalyptic.

on 10/19/2016

Extremely Tough choice!!!!, From two of the most interesting, independent and incorruptible filmakers ever existed. I´ve watched both films many times, great atmosphere, SFX, plot, but to my mind, it´s more difficult to empathize with Brundle´s character and his scientific-nerdy argot and so on. Apart from that, the ending of the thing is more ambiguous, debatable and specially apocalyptic.

on 11/2/2016

I guess this is proof that with some exceptions (i.e. Alien), body horror just isn't my thing. While I find the concepts of both of these movies genuinely terrifying, the more in-your-face gross-out moments make me crack up. I think I'll give it to The Fly because there were fewer of those moments, and I actually cared about the characters.

on 5/26/2017

I know many who love the Thing, but the Fly was a better movie in my opinion.

on 11/12/2017

i think the critics were right about the thing, i've never much liked it. the fly is incredible though

on 2/14/2018

Oh man, I think I'm going to have to go back on my original comment. While I still agree with the majority of the points made in my 2013 comment, I have since rewatched The Fly for the first time in a few years, and while I still rate it very highly, it's not quite as special as it used to be. I need to rewatch The Thing as well, which I haven't seen in roughly the same amount of time, but were I given the choice now, I would rather sit down and watch The Thing. Aside from being more entertaining overall, The Thing has more to offer for talking points, many of which are debated to this day. The Fly doesn't offer much going forward, other than a sequel which, while by no means bad in my opinion, was definitely inferior. Both of these are staying firmly in my top 100, even while my list of seen movies has nearly doubled since I last made a comment on this matchup, but for now, The Thing just edges The Fly out.