The Green Mile vs. The Shawshank Redemption

13 comments

48 comments

The Darabont battle. But I can easily choose Shawshank over Green Mile; I love them both, and both are amazing and beautiful films, but Shawshank wins hands down.

A classic matchup!

This is a very good matchup. I'm not sure I can choose.

Both are fantastic films. I've actually gained more of an appreciation for Shawshank after repeat viewings. But I prefer The Green Mile. Read the book after seeing the movie, and I actually thought the movie improved on it. (I haven't read Shawshank.) Movie makes me choke up every time.

Stephen King prison movie vs Stephen King prison movie. How I love Flickchart.

Darabont is just an absolute genius. What it comes down to is story. Shawshank was the better story. No supernatural to mess with. Just two guys in a prison. I like Green Mile alot. But Shawshank is the better movie. This is a coin toss question. Either choice is great.

OMG

I think I just felt my brain rip itself asunder. Thanks for that... Aside from the thematic similarities, both are emotionally powerful, exquisitely filmed, and nearly flawlessly performed. *takes deep breath and ponders* In my opinion, The Green Mile simply has MORE of these things. More moments that impacted me. A broader scope of cinematography and a more pleasing color palette. More characters well-developed enough that I care about every little benign thing they say and do...and I think it's hard to hold Warden Norton from Shawshank up to Percy Wetmore and "Wild Bill" Wharton in terms of sheer villainy.

The Green Mile would have been better, if not for the ending

The Green Mile has the edge in terms of cast, but that is about it. Still, this is the toughest match-up I've faced on Flickchart so far.

Man...this one is physically painful. Both are very well-made and well-acted movies. This one's the epitome of the coin-toss decision.

Both are excellent movies, but simple I simply <3 watching Shawshank

Shawshank is overrated. Not hugely overrated, but it really isn't a masterpiece. The Green Mile, however, is. I've never felt the urge to clap at the end of a film before. Therefore, I declare Green Mile to be an infinitely better film.

The Green Mile was a damn good movie but I was blown away the first time I watched Shawshank and each time since.

The Green Mile was kind of meh... The Shawshank Redemption didn't blow my mind as it did with some people... I mean, it's not even near #7 on my list, but it was really good nevertheless. In the end, The Shawshank Redemption was far better than The Green Mile.

JRM
JRM

One of the closest match-ups I've encountered on flickchart. Darabont is a master at adapting Stephen King's stories into memorable films. Both in my top 5, but I have to choose, and I'll choose Shawshank.

@willhunting: That's really interesting. I had pretty much the same reaction...but reversed. Shawshank is growing on me, but The Green Mile had me from the first viewing.

ear
ear

Shawshank is a fine film but The Green Mile is more compelling.

How do you compare two Darabont films about prison life? The supernatural element in The Green Mile made its story less compelling for me, so I have to give it to Shawshank by default.

JRM
JRM

Aaargh. I hate going back on my word, but I'm now choosing Green Mile over Shawshank. But, again, this may change...tomorrow.

The Green Mile made a lasting impression, but if I were choosing right now, I would put Shawshank into the DVD player.

I recently saw both of these (all the way through) for the first time. While I really loved each of them, The Green Mile was the more touching film and the one that had more of an impact on me. I felt like it was one of those movies that you really only need to see once and that's enough, you won't ever forget it. The Shawshank Redemption, however, I can see myself watching many more times and finding more of a growing appreciation with each viewing.

Brutality!!! Two of the best ever. Shawshank stands above though. "I Hope...."

Stephen King's masterpiece about crucifixion and resurrection vs. Stephen King's masterpiece about the power of hope. I love the Green Mile for its take on what would happen if Jesus were here today. How would we treat him? But, this one goes to Shawshank, as the story is better, and it had a much bigger impact on me.

Two excellent films but honestly, nothing this close to the subject matter can even touch Shawshank. It's an all-timer for a reason.

Hard to chose between them. I have one at no2 and the other at no3

Both are great but no contest that Shawshank is the better film --- Green Mile was a film that was good for that experience but the magic is always there on a re-viewing of shawshank!

JRM
JRM

There is no wrong answer here. What I love about Darabont's adaptions of King's works is that he 'gets it.' He understands what makes the book work and he executes them in a way few filmmakers would. It's not about the monsters or the blood and gore that makes Stephen King's stories resonate with so many people; it's the human element in each of his stories, and Darabont understands that and makes sure he gets that across on screen, even in his adaption of The Mist (which I think is even better than King's novella).

Both are very powerful and emotional films. But I was blown away more from shawshank then the green mile. Loved both tho

Both are very powerful and emotional films. But I was blown away more from shawshank then the green mile. Loved both tho

The Green Mile is the winner here.

Both great but Shawshank wins this in an easy battle.

OH GOD NO YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHOOSE I WON'T DO IT

shawshank of course but green mile is absolutely mesmerising

Both I hold dearly to my person, but The Shawshank Redemption is on another level.

The late Michael Clarke Duncan's best performance. But Shawshank is too good.

One is good, the other is great. The Shawshank Redemption wins.

The two best Stephen King movies, and even though I LOVE the green mile it can't lose against the masterpiece that is Shawshank Redeption, it's just too good.

Sorry, I meant say WIN instead of LOSE.

TGM had some incredible performances but TSR is the better movie overall

TSR is an overall better film.

The similarities are obvious and both are great films, but Shawshank is better.

Green Mile is a fine movie, but Shawshank is just a notch above it.

Two of the most incredible films, directed by Frank Darabont and written by Stephen King. Shawshank is the greatest film ever made as it's the greatest blend of hope, despair, perseverance, desperation and triumph. The Green Mile is an incredible look at both humanity and ugliness and how sometimes we need someone to help us make sense of both. The late Michael Clarke Duncan is brilliant in his first starring role as John Coffey. Darabont and King should collaborate more often.

Two of the most incredible films, directed by Frank Darabont and written by Stephen King. Shawshank is the greatest film ever made as it's the greatest blend of hope, despair, perseverance, desperation and triumph. The Green Mile is an incredible look at both humanity and ugliness and how sometimes we need someone to help us make sense of both. The late Michael Clarke Duncan is brilliant in his first starring role as John Coffey. Darabont and King should collaborate more often.

Two great prison Stephan King adaptations by the wonderful Frank Darabont both are amazing as we all know but I am floating towards Shawshank more though

Green Mile.

The Green Mile is a far greater masterpiece.

Both in my top 20. Shawshank however is my no.3 while Green Mile is no.12. This doesn't mean that The Green Mile isn't an amazing masterpiece however.

I was quite surprised by Green Mile. Didn't cared for Shawshank by any means.

Green Mile is fantastic, but slightly overlong and a little too disturbing for my taste, but still and amazing film. Shawshank is 100% perfect, and my favorite movie. Shawshank easily.

Green Mile moved me far more deeply.

The Green Mile is a great film, no doubt..but The Shawshank Redemption is an even better and greater film than The Green Mile is. Heck, I think The Shawshank Redemption is the best and greatest film of all time.

Pure greatness and I'm going with Green Mile because of the faith aspect. What happened to Stephen King that he grew in to such a moronic douchebag in his old age?

Oh easily Shawshank, it holds up across its running time so well. Green Mile is good but not great.

Shawshank by far.

Shawshank is clearly the superior film.

Two great films from Frank Darabont. I like Shawshank Redemption more but both are great.

Shawshank by farther miles and miles.

The Shawshank Redemption by a wide margin.

The Green Mile is a completely fantastic film, but I don't know if I can compare it to Shawshank Redemption.

Both are masterpieces, sure Shawshank might be the more popular film but Green Mile can still hold it's own against it. I'll go with Shawshank but Green Mile is more powerful and emotional.

TSR. No more magical negro movies.

I love both of these moves, but Shawshank wins this and it isn't close at all. It has a far better plot structure, it's a perfect balance of positive and negative emotion, it's a thematically and philosophically rich story with phenomenal cinematography. It's one of the movies that I cannot fault at all. I love The Green Mile, but I just can't imagine any way that Shawshank could lose to it

Loved both but Green Mile wins this round.

I'm going with The Green Mile but Shawshank is better in technicals.

An extremely feel-good prison movie directed by Frank Darabonk based on a SK story vs an extremely sad prison movie directed by Frank Darabont based on a story by SK. Well I love both but Shawshank is slightly better in my opinion

I changed my mind, green mile wins!