Throne of Blood vs. Ran

2 comments

4 comments

Two great Akira Kurosawa films Based on Shakespeare. Throne of Blood is Macbeth. Ran is based on King Lear. Kurosawa's adaptations are tremendous and must see films. In this comparison, King Lear is better than Macbeth

How is this only the second comment? Both are great Shakespeare adaptions from Kurosawa. Despite the fact that Throne of Blood has ToshirĂ´ Mifune, I've gotta give the slight edge to Ran. Both films are technical masterpieces though and I guarantee that I'll love them both even more on rewatch.

Visually breathtaking and amazingly well acted films, these are perhaps the two best adaptations of Shakespeare work. Kurosawa takes Shakespeare's content and presents it in a feudal Japanese society of the 16th century. Very close but a victory to "Throne of Blood"

Very hard choice but cinematic achievements in Ran rank it higher than Throne of Blood. My favorite 2 Kurosawa films.

Very hard choice but cinematic achievements in Ran rank it higher than Throne of Blood. My favorite 2 Kurosawa films.

Throne of Blood for me...

I need to revisit Throne of Blood by I fell in love with Kurosawa's color usage in Ran.