The Empire Strikes Back vs. Alien

20 comments

12 comments

hmmmmm. interesting.

Alien is good but Empire is the greatest film ever made.

Nostalgia wins this one for Empire. But only just.

This would be harder if it was Aliens vs Empire

ear
ear

The Empire Strikes Back is so rewatchable that I give it the win here.

Argh. My favorite scary movie vs my favorite space adventure.

SIGOURNEY WEAVER YOU THINK YOU'RE SO DAMN GOOD.

She was 1979.

two of the best movies of their respective franchises

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Alien wins this one for me.

Oh god my brain is going to explode-BUT I don't have an emotional attachment to Empire, and Alien was my first horror movie, and I believe it is better, but jeez this is a hard choice.

Empire is better in every way.

Empire, but Alien is great.

Empire by a very respectable margin.

Empire Strikes Back totaly wins this one, Alien is no march for Empire Strikes Back. Empire Strikes Back for the world.

The one that has Lando.

Alien.

I do enjoy Star Wars, but I'm more of an Alien man myself. It is interesting that they both come from the same era and same school of practical Sci-Fi visual effects and put them to completely different use, and it's a good indication of how less is sometimes more. Obviously the Star Wars trilogy revolutionised effects of all kinds (although much of what ANH and ESB were doing had already been achieved 10 years previously by 2001: A Space Odyssey), and found out how to put them to effect in a fast-paced, acrobatic way, but Alien is much slower and more deliberate with its effects. This can, understandably, lead to some slow moments, but there are many sequences, particularly with the Nostromo, which still look very impressive and utterly convincing to this day, oil-painted backgrounds and 70s computer monitors aside. Regardless of these observations, they're both amazing films, and on any given day of the week I'd probably put on ESB for a casual watch, but I have more adoration for the Alien franchise, so going to go with the big, slimy space rape monster on this one.

Still got to go with any of the original trilogy over Alien..

Both are amazing Sci-Fi films, but as far as I'm concerned not much beats the original Star Wars trilogy.

Epic matchup. Empire is more popular, but I personally like Alien better.

Two sci-fi classics, but Empire Strikes Back is the winner.

Empire for sure

I don't LOVE alien, but I love Empire

Empire is the winner for me.

"Empire," but these are two fine wines, indeed.

Two different kinds of science fiction that are equally effective. Alien is slow, intense and artistic but Empire is more action heavy and exciting. Empire is sitting at #1 on my chart when Alien is in my top 25.

Alien has better acting, better writing, better concept, and better puppets, but The Empire Strikes Back has better miniatures, sets, special effects, and memorability. I'm still going to give it to Alien despite the popular consensus that The Empire Strikes Back is better.

Star Wars > Xenomorphs always.

Alien>The Empire Strikes Back

Gotta go with Star Wars on this one.

The epitome of science-fiction for both of these films. They are my #7 and #8 respectively.

Great matchup. Two masterpieces. By my nostalgia and SW bias, Empire wins.

Empire is entertainment. Alien is art. But I love Star Wars slightly more.