The Empire Strikes Back vs. Aliens

20 comments

11 comments

The Match of the Day! Empire Strikes Back Vs. Aliens. And between these two the real battle exists between story and central villain. The Empire Strikes Back focuses on a young man coming to grips with his dictator father, Aliens is a story about a courageous mother. Empire wins by a long shot on originality. Now the villains. Darth Vader Vs. Mama Alien. Maybe the alien, but not by much. And Darth is much more memorable in costume design. So Empire Strikes wins!

Each is noticeably flawed, but The Empire Strikes Back moreso. Aliens is a hell of a ride. The Empire Strikes Back is better than Star Wars, but has many of the same fatal flaws as it. Needless to say, I lean heavily toward Aliens.

I know this should be harder but it just isn't, it's helped by the fact that I like A New Hope better.

Empire strikes back is the better sequel

My two most favorite sci-fi sequels of all time. Empire has Darth Vader's reveal, and Aliens has Bill Paxton. Empire wins.

Empire has three good scenes: Yoda lifting the X-Wing with the Force, Luke vs. Vader, and the freezing of Han. The rest of the movie isn't as dramatic or exciting. I'm bored by the rest of the Dagobah stuff, and the Empire chasing the Millennium Falcon scenes are just sort of there (particularly the part in the "cave"). Aliens is a much better action flick in every way. It lacks the emotional impact of some of Empire's scenes, but it offers a more thrilling experience overall. I don't think any Star Wars film after the original had the same spirit of fun and adventure.

@KingofPain: I agree with almost everything you've said, with one exception. Empire is my favorite Star Wars film. Ten years ago, I would answer this question differently, but now, it's Aliens with no hesitation.

The Empire Strikes Back is better than Aliens.

I love Aliens, but not enough to choose it in this matchup.

Impressive sequels that strengthen the legacy of the original; only one of the two actually works as a standalone film though. I think these are the best films of their respective franchises but nostalgia works in favor of Empire.

Empire Stikes Back it is. Don't need to say why, everyone knows what's good about Star Wars. I'll add Aliens is good, so the next Aliens fan doesn't fire down acid rain on me. :)

Aliens is okay...and Empire destroys it.

I agree with Mason; Empire is my favorite Star Wars films but Aliens is one of my favorite films. Which one is easier to choose? Easy. Aliens.

I don't mind hearing the Imperial March over and over again. Empire.

Two of the greatest sequels of all time. Empire wins.

Hard choice it is but the force is with The Empire this time

Set aside the story for a moment and consider the visuals. Who else thinks that Aliens looks a bit cheesy and dingy, while Empire is as crisp looking as it was back then?

Love both but Aliens!

Empire is definitely the better sequel, but Aliens is no pushover by any means.

Aliens take down the Empire in an epic battle of GOAT sequels.

I honestly prefer Aliens. It's just so enthralling. Empire is definitely the best Star Wars movie, though.

I honestly prefer Aliens. It's just so enthralling. Empire is definitely the best Star Wars movie, though.

Just thought I'd revisit this matchup. Such a good faceoff. I just loved how Cameron did the unthinkable when he dared to build upon Ridley Scott's original Alien. Took a lot of guts... and money might I add. In the end, Cameron was highly successful and produced what is now known as one of the most legendary follow-ups in American cinema history. Empire is the best of the Star Wars trilogy, and I love it. Honestly, it's been over 2 decades since I've seen it though. I have no idea how impressed I would be watching it now. Aliens--on the other hand--I watched as recently as this year. Love both Alien and Aliens. I prefer Alien over Aliens, but not by a wide margin. I like both better than any Star Wars movie. And that's saying a lot right there.

Aliens isn't as good as its predecessor, whereas Empire is definitely better than ANH. Looking at them from an effects standpoint, the two are very different stylistically, but I actually feel like Empire has aged better than Aliens, despite being 6 years older (I have a big problem with Aliens in that it, out of all the original Alien films, seems to have dated the most). Usually I'd side with the Alien franchise over the Star Wars franchise (even if the original Star Wars films rank slightly higher than most of the Alien films in my flickchart), which may be a sign of me growing older, but Empire wins here.

I agree with you, Smatticus - Empire, much like Godfather, was stylistically crafted so as to render it resistant to aging, whereas Aliens looks very much like a product of the 80's.

ESB, not even close.

I honestly think the effects in Aliens has aged remarkably well, especially for an 80s movie. I think it's has the best looking effects in an 80s movie, besides Blade Runner.

The Empire Strikes Back

Aliens for me

Actually... Empire

Empire is better than any Alien movie. I did like the first one, but I'm not into Aliens I guess.

I just can't believe I have to decide between these 2 movies.......

Star Wars episode V.