WALL·E vs. Predator

0 comments

7 comments

A hard choice but I'll attempt to draw some comparison between these two very different films. Both films come from great pedigrees, the Pixar studios for Wall-E and the 80's action film genre with Arnold for Predator. One might even say that these films come out at the height (or continuing heights) of each respective source however I feel that while Wall-E once again takes animation to a new level of quality in 3D animation it suffers a bit from being too engrossed in it's silent choice. Another interesting contrast is the muscled hardbodies of Predator in comparison to the marshmellowy humans in Wall-E, it makes you wonder if you could even make a comparison at all? The factor that is going determine my actual choice is regarding each respective silent "character(s)" choice of words. While the first words from Wall-E (aside from a old television) were his name, the more haunting first human words of the Predator was a laugh that echoed through the jungle which was just as lonely and barren as the abandoned earth. My vote goes to Predator but just barely.

Both are highly watchable. In fact, I spent a large chunk of my youth watching Predator. It's a very well-done B-movie, essentially. While it's incredibly entertaining for me, well shot and greatly imaginative in the action/sci-fi genre, I have to give it to Wall-E since it has more to say and had the temerity to say it in a genre that usually goes for sappy cliché instead of actually trying to provoke a dialogue. It's the most grown up animated movie I do believe I've seen. Additionally—and I think this bears some weight in my decision in favor of Wall-E—its maturity and wisdom opened me up to animated movies. Prior to seeing it, I have to admit that I was fairly close off from them.

It has to be Predator

Now this is an odd match-up. Gonna have to go with Predator.

Yeah, I'll take Predator. But these have wound up back-to-back within my Top 60.

Get to the choppa!

Easily Predator. Wall-E is great if you want to have a good cry. Predator is great if you want to feel every other emotion.

Love Wall-E...but it's all Predator.