Elysium vs. 28 Days Later...

1 comments

2 comments

If it was 28 weeks I would pick that since it was better than 28 day so I’m going with Elysium

Not a chance, 28 Days Later is one of the best Zombie films ever made, and I don't get the love for its sequel. While 28 Days Later hasn't aged well in some aspects, namely licensed music choices and some weird moments of photography that feel a little too artistic to be considered meaningful, it's a tense, visceral experience that owes much of its success to the performances (Naomi Harris in particular is highly underrated), Danny Boyle's direction, and the fact that in spite of thousands of low budget, hand-held horror imitators, it still looks and feels better crafted than any of them. Elysium was the start of Neill Blomkamp's downfall, and proof that he was essentially a one-trick pony; it has the same set pieces, broad story beats, character archetypes and aesthetic choices as District 9, but without the frenetic pace, blistering action, multi-layered satire ("wouldn't universal healthcare be nice?!") or creative confidence from all involved which made that film so relentlessly entertaining. With all the Hollywood money and talent which was thrown at Blomkamp after District 9, the best analogy for Elysium in respect to District 9 which I ever heard was from Mark Kermode; "it's a bit like listening to a studio-produced album by a band that made a really good record in their garage; you think that it's going to be good, and yet some it's lost its charms and its edge. It feels contained and packaged." And that's not even touching on some of the things which outright annoyed me in the film; Jodie Foster's accent/dubbing and that awful Hippo speech. So yeah, tl:dr, 28 Days Later wins.

28 Days Later...