Mulholland Dr. vs. Se7en

1 comments

3 comments

Mulholland Drive takes it.

Mulholland Dr is one of the most ambitious films I have ever seen but Se7en wins easily.

The superior David is Fincher.

As you might know from my previous discussion, I am a big Naomi Watts fan. Caught by my own bias, its clear that Mulholland Drive takes this one. Both of these movies are masterpieces, Se7en shrouds us with its plot, act by the act we get a new idea of what this movie is about and where is it leading us. David Fincher artistry, however, is to give us a peripheral view of the story, right until the end. the details are never clear and always an abstraction by the viewer until the very last scene. People that admit having known the end of the movie are clearly seduced by the hindsight bias, which makes this movie ridiculously powerful. David Fincher however, gives us pieces and fragments, pictures, it contains the notion of pulp fiction. It feels finished and unfinished simultaneously, this movie is a mystery from start to finish constantly animating the viewer to sort of contemplate on the context. The great thing about it is, unlike in se7en you don't have to wait until you forgot half to plot to enjoy the movie again. Mulholland Drive is a movie you can watch once a month and always find something new. One of the most engaging movies I have ever seen but I guess that is the essence of David Lynch's genius, it's what makes him-him. Lost Highway, Eraserhead, Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, etc. etc.. I can definitely see why people choose Se7en over Mulholland Drive, it definitely leaves more of a shock to the audience. Its like snickers vs a banana, Se7en gives you a sugar rush, straight energy, you peak right away like an orgasm but only for a certain amount of time. Whereas Lynch is more of the subtle but longterm engagement. It leaves you thinking for a while, it could be portrayed as a steady curve. It gives you multiple orgasms, its the night you redefine your sexual pleasure by going into 3-5 rounds. Se7en is the cumshot you hold in for 1:30 hours and Lynch is le multiple petite mort. In order to enjoy David Lynch, you have to rewatch the movie and sacrifice intricacies that you hold as absolute in order to truly get what this is about.

I don't think that's necessarily true. While I agree that Mulholland Dr. is likely the better movie, it isn't outrageous to say that Se7en is superior. Se7en is possibly the greatest study of evil ever done in evil. It's fincher's most nihilistic work and likely his best in the technical department. The use of editing, blocking, and staging makes for even the simplest things to hold plenty of subtext. He manages to show the evolution of a relationship through just a few frames. Masterful direction. But I do think Mulholland Dr. is the better film, and Lynch is the better director