The Tree of Life vs. To the Wonder

4 comments

2 comments

Not a fan of either, but Tree of Life had more compelling themes at play and didn't focus on Olga "I Can't Act My Way Out of a Paper Bag" Kurylenko for most of it's runtime.

Might be the minority opinion but I actually prefer "To the Wonder" to "The Tree of Life" which are both great films even if they are probably Malick's worst. This is probably the closest Malick has come to making a Wong Kar-Wai film, if you replace the urban setting with wheat fields, and for me that is a high compliment indeed.

I was highly disappointed by To the Wonder. Malick's best film buries it.

"To the Wonder" does the burying. It has "an avalanche of tenderness" and is actually Malick's most straight forward film since the 70s and it's easier to relate to than possibly anything he has ever done.

The Tree of Life by a long way for me. I couldn't quite get as emotionally invested in To The Wonder than I did for The Tree of Life. To The Wonder was still good, but not great.

Both amazing, but ToL is my favorite Malick film

Olga Kurylenko was fantastic what are you talking about? Anyway, Tree of Life was not a good movie - Malick's storytelling was intertwined with pretentiousness and was effectively incomplete. Though it did have a handful of good scenes and some fantastic cinematography. To the Wonder is the far better films. Malick captures all that is the essence of love, and it's one of the most effecting movies I've ever seen. Though, it does have some unfortunate Malick tropes and it's share of flaws.