Skyfall vs. From Russia with Love

2 comments

2 comments

"Skyfall" is a contender for best Bond movie, and "From Russia With Love" is one of its top competitors. "Skyfall" is, in some ways, a welcome return to normalcy for the Bond franchise after arguable and uneven results in Craig's first two outings. Craig still broods and mopes, but he has at last acquired Bond's requisite wit and sense of elegance, characteristics that I felt were intentionally but unfortunately lacking in his earlier appearances. Oddball badguys, creative gadgets (in this case a gun does count as a gadget), and cars that are nearly characters in and of themselves are vital elements of the franchise, and this film embraces rather than runs from those traditions. "Skyfall" also embraces, revels in, even hinges upon the history of the series and its iconic characters. This 50th anniversary installment proves that the series' age can be a source of creative strength and is not a liability as some might have thought. But "Skyfall" also moves its quasi-serialized universe forward and into new territory. It is a continuation and a culmination of themes that the Bond films have been dealing with in one way or another for over a decade, at least since "GoldenEye": Bond's vulnerability, his relationship with M, and the decline of British power in world affairs. "Skyfall" explores these ideas in ways that are genuinely creative, moving, entertaining, and true to the spirit of Bond. One aspect of Craig's portrayal that I found new and intriguing, and that may prove to be his most lasting contribution to the character, is his compassion. This is a subtle middle ground between Connery's imperviousness and early Brosnan/early Craig's unsatisying hints at guilt and uncertainty; now, Craig's Bond seems to want to help people and to heal them, and what is more noble than this in a government servant? "Skyfall" is not a perfect movie, but it is undoubtedly the best Bond film in at least a generation. It contends with "From Russia With Love" and a very few others for the distinction of best Bond ever. I don't yet know whether it is. But for reviving and rewarding my enthusiasm for the character and the franchise, it gets my vote this time.

Skyfall it is. From Russia with Love, along with Goldfinger and Dr. No, is a classic Bond film and I love it, but Skyfall is so much more.

This could quite possibly be one of the hardest decisions I have ever made in my life.....but I will go Skyfall by a VERY slim margin

Skyfall is the 2nd best Bond film. FRWL ain't the best.

easy for me Russia with Love is the classic story and the better bond girl without bond crying(complaining) or wanting to retire like in Skyfall.

SKYFALL was a return to greatness...but FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is where that greatness was in the first place.