Once Upon a Time in the West vs. Once Upon a Time in America

14 comments

8 comments

on 2/12/2011

I have to admit that I found Once Upon a Time in the West to be superior than Once Upon a Time in America. I got to follow my gutfeeling on this one.

on 2/12/2011

West all the way. America relies on too much sexual raunch to give the characters depth. The pure pathos of West's characters make it required viewing.

on 2/13/2011

No question that West beats America (and they both beat Mexico).

on 6/11/2011

They are both very good both I prefer Once Upon a Time in the West

on 6/11/2011

I agree with all. West is just the better movie....

on 2/2/2012

obvious? the best movie ever against the best western. because of this, america wins!

on 3/20/2012

The West beat In America easily. Both great films to die for but the original Leone is the best.

on 11/27/2012

The film that is considered the best western vs the directors ultimate passion project? I have an unfair favor for West (it is my favorite film) so it wins, although they are both great films.

on 11/27/2012

The film that is considered the best western vs the directors ultimate passion project? I have an unfair favor for West (it is my favorite film) so it wins, although they are both great films.

on 11/28/2012

Gangsters beat cowboys

on 2/24/2013

America for me, I prefer gangster films to westerns.

on 5/8/2013

As I said I used to prefer America, but after rewatching both in the last couple of days I am switching over to the West.

on 9/1/2013

If I can't fall asleep, I go to my DVD collection and pop in Once upon a time in the West. If I want to watch the best film of all time, though, America it is.

on 12/29/2013

It's West for me. Both are huge, ambitious, beautiful works, but West feels slightly more well-rounded.

on 3/25/2014

This is easy for me, Once upon a time in the West, (while it is made by the same man) is not up to par with Good, Bad, and the Ugly. It's boring and is far too long. Once Upon a Time in a America has an amazing story and characters and is one of my favorite movies.

on 3/25/2014

Once Upon a Time in the West. America was just a little too boring for me

on 3/28/2014

Once Upon a Time in the West.

on 2/28/2015

Once Upon A Time In America really struck a chord with me in its themes of friendship, betrayal, and nostalgia. West is great, but America is the film I much prefer.

on 1/19/2016

Once Upon a Time in the West has one of the strongest first halves I have ever seen. From the massacre of the McBain family to the introduction of Cheyenne the Bandit, there are so many memorable images and sequences. But the second half and finale let me down completely, with a by the numbers duel based on backstory that is only mentioned during said duel, between the least interesting characters in the movie. Once Upon a Time in America not only has the opening magic of West, with it's heartbreaking childhood memories and nostalgic New York imagery; but a excellent finale that, in my opinion, serves as an antithesis of past Leone film finales; with a chance at revenge turned down instead of acted upon. Although I love both these films, I was only mildly satisfied with Once Upon a Time in the West , where as Once Upon a Time in America thoroughly impressed me.

on 3/21/2017

Both are absolute masterpieces, released 16 years apart, what a great director Sergio Leone was. That being said, my vote is with West.

on 12/27/2017

Sergio Leone's undisputed #1 and #2.

on 2/28/2018

once upon a time in the west is Great and epic Westerns movie ...but i feel Once Upon a Time in America is the best movie i ever fucking seen so America wins! Sorry Original segio leone West movie but i pick America

on 3/13/2018

i prefer america than west