Once Upon a Time in the West vs. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

20 comments

35 comments

on 7/23/2009

Impossible to choose. I'm flipping a coin.

on 7/26/2009

"Good, Bad, Ugly" is about as entertaining as cinema gets, but "Once Upon a Time in the West" is Leone's greatest Western (his best film is "Once Upon a Time in America"). "West" is the climax of the American Western genre as an artform; all the great Westerns since have been revisionist.

on 8/1/2009

Both perfect in their way, but I've got to go with "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

on 8/2/2009

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly was an amazing end to an excellent Dollars trilogy but with Once Upon a Time in the West Leone completely rethought the western genre and along with Morricone's brilliant score made not only the best spaghetti western but one of the best movies of all time period.

on 8/13/2009

The two greatest westerns of all time. But Once had Fonda as a bad guy, you don't get to see that often. GBU plays like a road trip movie when compared to the darker themes of Once.

on 9/7/2009

I go with The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Once Upon... has more issues and ideas going on in it, but it's also so insanely epic and over-the-top that it makes me laugh--it verges on just being silly at several points. Both great though, and Leone was a genius.

on 11/13/2009

Once Upon a Time in the West has better music, but it isn't the better movie, I'd still very much like to see these films get into a shootout, other than flickchart, I don't know how that could happen.

on 1/24/2010

It is because of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly that I put Once Upon a Time in the West on the back-burner for as long as I did. It was a decent enough film, though disappointing nonetheless as nothing about it spoke to its supposed brilliance. Watching Once Upon a Time in the West, I found myself wishing I had made it a higher priority than The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly or that I had not let The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly keep me from watching it for as long as I did. Before it, I had seen a handful of westerns fall just short in the quest for cinematic perfection, and Once Upon a Time in the West is the first to attain it. By comparison, I don't even lump The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in the aforementioned close-but-no-cigar category. Thus, my decision here is a foregone conclusion. Once Upon a Time in the West.

on 1/24/2010

Once Upon a Time in the west really isn't all that great. The climax has nowhere near the tension or excitement of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, nor is the rest of the movie as generally entertaining. Claudia Cardinale as part of the scenery is Once Upon a Time in the West's biggest selling point.

on 2/12/2010

Once Upon a Time in the west is a great movie, no doubt about it, but The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is so unbelievably epic and great, and tuco and blondie are so great characters, so great played, it's one of the best movies of all time

on 11/30/2010

oh dear... tough one

on 12/10/2010

I watched Once Upon A Time... a couple of years ago and it did nothing for me. I guess I should give it another chance. I've seen TGTB&TU many times and it never gets old.

on 2/4/2011

in the west, very very easy

ear
ear

on 2/4/2011

Time in the West by a hair pin win.

on 2/12/2011

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly wins. Barely.

on 2/22/2011

"Once Upon a Time in the West" doesn't have Eli Wallach. But then "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" doesn't have Claudia Cardinale.

on 6/25/2011

Once Upon a Time in the West is far better for sure.

on 6/26/2011

GBU. Both the films have amazing and memorable music, are beautiful to look at, engaging plots etc. etc. (I could go on and on why they're great.) I think the only thing that really sets GBU a step ahead is Eastwood and Wallach. The scenes with these are guys are so memorable. Their characters are unforgettable and some of the best ever. And this makes everything in the film mean a little more.

on 2/1/2012

Yep, GBU all day. No doubt that West is a good movie but, with the exception of Cardinale, everything about GBU is just better. Pacing, charisma, shootouts, score... all of it. Credit to West for being entertaining in spite of its excessive use of long, drawn out shots of nothingness, but it's just too brooding for its own good. Gotta laugh at that little bit during the end credits where you read "Dialogue by Mickey Knox". Must've been the most lucrative 6.5 mins of his life.

on 3/20/2012

I must say Once Upon a Time in the West takes the title as best Western of all time. Leone has improved with his direction and story.

on 5/7/2012

both in top 10 but the good the bad and the ugly in my opinion is the greatest film of all time

on 5/17/2012

Both of these are without a doubt legendary. The GBatU is the amazing climax of the dollar-trilogy. But Once Upon a Time... that movie is a summary of all the greatness Western has to offer. Therefore, I think Once Upon is the best western out there, and the best of the two here.

on 6/4/2012

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly kicks ass...

on 6/14/2012

this is a very tough decision for me but at the end i gotta go with Once Upon a Time in the West. it was more emotional and more epic. both are so good and are two of my favorite movies but i gotta go with my guts here so i give Once the point

on 8/19/2012

I liked Once Upon a Time, but the found GBU far more engaging (it being my favorite film of all time), so my pick here is obvious.

on 9/21/2012

Well, The Good, The Bad... doesn't have some weird looking broad taking up half the screen time. I want grizzled, sunburnt faces covered in flies in my Leone, dammit. No homo? Yeah, there's plenty of that in Once Upon a Time, but it's actually a much weaker film for a lot of reasons. I'm constantly having to remind myself of character motivations and why they give a damn about each other. Sometimes that wonderful Morricone score rings a bit hollow because I've totally lost track of any emotional center or sense of purpose. It made me appreciate Leone's other movies much more.

on 9/21/2012

I also thought Charles Bronson was sort of terrible. He looked perpetually constipated. There's something about some western stars where you can look at their face and think "wow, he looks like a repressed asshole".

on 10/14/2012

This is hilarious, Once Upon a Time was incredibly slow and overly dramatic and Good, Bad Ugly is one of the best westerns ever made. Easy choice.

on 10/21/2012

These are two films that I saw as a young boy just starting to get interested in film. I have great memories of both of them from an early age. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is simply superior though. Every single scene in the film is a treat, right from the desert scene to the bridge battle and the cemetery finale. It's an incredible film.

on 11/16/2012

once upon a time in the wast was to unfocused and to slow.The good the bad and the ugly is a timeless epic.

on 11/22/2012

once uppn a time in the west.

on 1/27/2013

Difficult choice, Once Upon a Time plays more like an epic poem and is very meditating, but The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is an awesome entertaining Western. Quite possibly the best ever made.

on 1/27/2013

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is more entertaining, has better characters, and a more engaging story.

on 2/24/2013

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

on 5/20/2013

For now, I'll say OUATITW. Simply because I definitely need to re-visit GBU. Both films are incredibly powerful, exciting, entertaining and have interesting stories and characters. Not to mention, fantastic performances and legendary music. For now, GBU loses

on 6/10/2013

Once Upon a Time in the West was very well done, but just doesn't compare. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is more ambitious, innovative, entertaining, effective, and flawless with better casting, characters, action, music, cinematography, sound, and story. Once Upon a Time in the West is a very good movie. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is one of the best.

on 9/7/2013

Both are fairly long movies, but The Good, the Bad and the Ugly packs so much more story into its running time. Once Upon a Time in the West had a plot that likely could have been told in well under two hours. Even the film's most passionate supporters have to admit it is rather leisurely paced. And Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda and Jason Robards, as good as they are, can't quite fill the shoes of Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is just plain better.

on 9/7/2013

It is very close for because both are in my top 20. Both are absolute masterpieces of cinema and Leone's two best movies (which is saying a lot). I would actually argue that Once Upon a Time in the West is a better movie, but it isn't quite as entertaining or iconic. For that I have to go with The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

on 9/12/2013

It appears I spoke too soon. After rewatching both in the last couple days, I can now say with confidence that Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite Sergio Leone film.

on 10/2/2013

I am slightly more terrified of Bronson than Eastwood, so my choice is made. Also, I think Once Upon is a better film (one of my top ten), though it is of less cultural impact.

on 10/13/2013

Two amazing films by Leone. I have seen both of them only once, so my decision could change in the future, but The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is the winner.

on 12/4/2013

Leones two best,l prefer the Good,the Bad and the Ugly.

on 12/28/2013

Wow....this is very tough. Both of the best westerns ever by the great sergio leone. I however prefer TGTBATU.

on 1/16/2014

It's so hard not to pick The Good, the Bad and the Ugly because of Eastwood's character alone, but looking at both films as a whole, Once Upon A Time In the West just has so much more badassary to it that I think every Western needs. In addition, the soundtrack feels so much more at home in West than it did in the Ugly. At the end of the day it comes down to one's personal preference between a storyline interwoven into a historic time period, and a storyline with more of a mystery placed on the characters involved. I think West is the better film.

on 2/4/2014

"Keep yer lovin' brother happy" Once Upon a Time in America is the better film by a very slim margin.

on 2/5/2014

Good, the Bad and the Ugly for me and it's not real close. One of Eastwood's great roles, and Sergio Leone created a perfect story of a bermuda triangle of characters. The showdown at the end is great. Once Upon a Time I felt used the same exact ending in a way, and that's where it falls short.

on 2/23/2014

This is pretty hard, my 1 and 2, Once Upon a Time in the West is better acted and better shot, but the sheer scale and the music for GBU puts it ahead.

on 5/29/2014

The Good, the bad and the ugly

on 6/29/2014

I just saw Once Upon in the West and I am confident in saying that Once Upon a Time in the West is the better film, but The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is more entertaining, so it wins. My opinion frequently changes though.

on 7/26/2014

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly is Leone at his peak. The Combination of Morricone's Music and the Locations is unbelievably good. The Actors are much better too. The icecool Clint Eastwood, the Charlie-Chaplin like Acting of Eli Wallach and for me the best Actor of the Movie Lee Van Cleef who gives the serious touch and the tension to the Movie. OATITW is too much of an opera and i dont like the wooden acting of Charles Bronson. I have to admit it is storywise very good and still has a very strong Henry Fonda, but TGTBATU wins by miles here.

on 10/3/2014

Woaaaaah. Omg this is tough.... I think The Good the Bad and The Ugly but boy, Once Upon a Time is excellent.

on 10/22/2014

Sergio's two best films and my two favorite westerns of all time. West is to 20, but GBU is top 10.

on 10/22/2014

Good, Bad, Ugly is the best Sergio western.

on 12/12/2014

Once Upon a Time in the West was way to slow by the time it ended i was to bored to care.the good the bad and the ugly is way better.

on 5/27/2015

GBU for better pacing and more memorable scenes.

on 5/27/2015

Both are masterpieces on my top 100. Good, the Bad and the Ugly gets the win.

on 12/5/2015

Boy this is a tough one. Both are extremely good movies. The Good the Bad and the Ugly was a better film although I can see how Both of these timeless classics would end up as a matchup for which is best. Both would have to be two of the best western movies ever made.

on 3/4/2016

GBU, no contest. West kind of disappointed me.

on 3/21/2017

One of the toughest match-ups for me, but I'll go with West because that scene where you see what Frank did to Harmonica's brother hit me like a tonne of bricks.

on 4/15/2017

Let's compare the two films: TGTB&TU: In the first ten minutes we know everything that we need to know about the main characters. One's ugly inside and out, one's bad and will do anything to get what he wants and one is good for the wrong reasons. The story never stops moving and is simple enough. Stakes and tension are high. You hang onto the edge of your seat for the entire runtime because the characters are put into many tensed situations that create some setbacks. As soon as it's over, you want to rewatch it all over again. OUATITA: It takes over an hour before we know the story and even characters motivations and traits. The story is stretched out and juggling too many things at once. There's a bit of conflict but it's hard to follow who's good and who's bad because there's so many things doing on. The film is also pretty forgettable.

on 8/26/2017

Tough match-up but TGTB&TU barely wins

on 3/12/2018

GBU is the greatest film ever made. Beats not only Once... but any other movie

on 8/19/2018

No single director will ever own a genre the way Leowned the Spaghetti Western.