MacGruber vs. A Million Ways to Die in the West

0 comments

2 comments

You'd think that with the success of the Wayne's World movies that members of Lorne Michaels' Saturday Night Live Casts would have had the blueprint to actually put out a decent big screen adaptation of their sketches. Even films like A Night At The Roxbury and The Ladies Man were not without their charm, but MacGruber (a sketch that I actually didn't completely revile) just took 5 steps back for the Not Quite Ready For Primetime Players. Seth Macfarlane continues to surprise me with the amount of restraint and heart that he sneaks into his live action movies. Unfortunately, previews and trailers for A Million Ways to Die in the West highlighted the more crass, base and trite moments of the film. I actually was quite surprised by the fact that after 2 hours spent with the film, that I connected more with Macfarlane and Charlize Theron than I did with the movie's high-priced talent like Liam Neeson (Who, granted, really doesn't turn down bad roles). That said, AMWTDITW actually succeeded to function as a decent romantic comedy and buddy film. It's clear that Macfarlane understands how to tell a story with multiple layers - one that highlights the strength of friendship and the complexity of relationships - but is equally capable of dishing out the dick-and-fart humor with the worst of them. I'll be honest, I really didn't expect to walk away from AMWTDITW even thinking of mentioning Macfarlane in the same breath as a Bill Shakespeare, but the man can play to a lot of different audiences with his comedy from the front row to the plebs in the cheap seats. I continue to be disappointed in MacGruber for squandering a good deal of talent and a fat Val Kilmer. Way to go Seth.

West had at least a couple laughable lines....