Prometheus vs. The Avengers

7 comments

11 comments

Maybe I'm getting old, but I thought AVENGERS was sortof mildly fun and mildly dull throughout. PROMETHEUS, however, flew by in what felt like 20 minutes and I can't wait to see it over and over again...

JRM
JRM

The Avengers was a lot of fun, but ultimately empty, storywise, whereas Prometheus was engaging and though provoking. Great movies arent always unanimously loved.

The Avengers wins. Although I think Prometheus is great, little things hold it back a bit. I hate in movies when something is coming for a character and they just run in a straight path, just run the hell sideways. If you don't know what I mean, rewatch it, you'll see. Very frustrating.

Two of the best of 2012...but the Avengers wins with me. Sometimes I'll take just plain fun over substance...

Avengers...easy

I agree with Shane. Prometheus is a fantastic film with some fine performances but is watered down by serious plotholes. Avengers was fun and all but decays for me over time. Since I have to choose, I'll pick Avengers.

Where are the cunts? Cunts, where are you?

Avengers is probably the best and most entertaining film of the year. Prometheus is probably the biggest let down to those people that are being honest with themselves. Not even a contest here.

The Avengers.

I enjoyed Prometheus quite a bit but I enjoy watching Avengers more. I do agree that The Avengers is one of the most entertaining films this year...but Django I enjoyed much more

The Avengers is a solid spectacle, but Prometheus has a genuine sense of wonder that is all too rare in movies, and all the "illogical behavior" people complain about fits in perfectly with the theme of the exhilaration of discovery and the folly of seeking too far for answers. (And as for the "run to the side!" people, that thing had just as much chance of tipping over. Physics are a bitch.)

"Prometheus is probably the biggest let down to those people that are being honest with themselves." What, so just because our opinion differs from yours, we're to be told that we don't know our own minds? Maybe we just have different tastes ... ever think of that? Anyway, I agree with the first comment, from Protozoid: even though it's supposed to be the funner movie of the two, "mildly dull" is a word that perfectly describes The Avengers for me. I honestly think I dozed for the first twenty minutes of that movie, and only perked up when Steve Rogers showed up. And that's just because I think Chris Evans is pretty.

"Pretty," eh? Don't feminise the guy. Let's cool him a good-lookin' motherfucker.

call him* Fucking phone.

Prometheus was very good, but against The Avengers? No match.. Avengers easily.

'The Avengers' crushes the craptasticness of plot hole filled stupidity that is 'Prometheus'!

Pretty much neck-n-neck for me here. Two standout films from 2012 both in need of a rewatch; Prometheus was more to my tastes and perked my interest a bit more, and I enjoyed it a lot (I certainly didn't hate it the same way other people did, and I thought it at the very least paid homage to a lot of the surrealist, gigerian, embryonic concepts either not explored or completely rejected in the first Alien film, before Cameron took the series down a one-way alley), but Avengers has more replay value and a more conventionally "entertaining" film. For now, I'm going with Prometheus for being more interesting. Yes it's flawed, there are characters who don't have a clue and some of the writing is pretty terrible, but in terms of sheer spectacle, wonder, intrigue and at least tenuously exploring the origins of the franchise in ways the sequels could never be bothered to do, it's a worthy film in my eyes.

Close one! Both are probably my favourite films of 2012. Prometheus slightly remains the winner.

I don't recall any shawarma in Prometheus.

the avengers is ok but i hate prometheus

Prometheus destroys The Avengers, might be the most underrated movie of 2012 vs the most overrated movie of 2012.