Prometheus vs. Looper

5 comments

9 comments

2 really good sci-fi movies of 2012! I'm going with Looper

Looper delivered and Prometheus did not.

Definitely Looper. I still that Prometheus was good, though.

Prometheus wasn't worth the hype, it had some good casting but mixing religion with the Alien series does not result well. Looper on the other hand is the underdog, people thought it was going to be one of those mediocre futuristic films like Surrogates or Jumper, but it excelled that into something more complex like Inception.

Looper easy, though i still really like Prometheus and don't see why people hate it so much, sure it has problems but it was still good, but still i choose Looper

Looks like I'll be the first to say it; DEFINITELY Prometheus. Prometheus was fantastic the first time, and while it has since slipped with multiple viewings, I still thoroughly enjoy it, especially as prequel/spin-off of the first Alien film. Looper branded itself as a Sci-Fi thriller which started off well, with a good take on Time Travel, before descending into a mediocre character study with a boring middle act and a conclusion which would have been much better if I hadn't stopped caring one hour into the film. Prometheus had me hooked right to the end, Looper did not; Prometheus wins.

"Oh, dead aliens sure are scary!" -> "Look at that beautiful, clearly dangerous alien snake! I'm gonna touch it". Yeah, Looper.

As soon as you leave the theatre, Prometheus would win, After you've thought about both movies a while, Looper is superior.

Even with soooo many ridiculous parts to Prometheus, I still enjoy a majority of it. The YouTube vid from how it should of ended covers everything wrong with it. Looper wins.

Looper is much more sophisticated storytelling, while Prometheus is on par with it's filmmaking. Above that, I just enjoyed Rian Johnson's style of filming as opposed to Scott's aging styles. I need him to do something Blade Runner again!

OK, I agree that there's a lot of plot holes/character mistakes/unnecessary makeup in Prometheus, but there's a lot of those problems in Looper too. I think the abridged script at the Editing Room covers Looper's problems pretty well. Anyway, this matchup is a bit closer for me. I like Prometheus's look, Fassbender, and the C-section scene. Looper's still settling for me, but JGL did a pretty good job, and its script is more imaginative and thoughtful.

Prometheus. Looper is going to look increasingly goofy as time goes on. Prometheus will age like a fine wine.

Prometheus was a highly enjoyable flick, but not on the same levels as Looper was.

I had my problems with Looper, but it still completely held my interest from beginning to end. Prometheus didn't. Ridley Scott, Damon Lindelof, and the rest of the creative forces behind that movie really swung and missed on that one. Looper wins easily.

In hindsight, 2012 was a pretty strong year for sci-fi. Prometheus is my pick.