Double Indemnity vs. Some Like It Hot

10 comments

3 comments

on 7/22/2009

Wow. I had to get up and walk away for a while on this one. The only way it could possibly get harder is to throw Sunset Boulevard in there as well. I'm going to have to give it to Double Indemnity,

on 7/26/2009

I love Billy Wilder's noir films -- "Sunset Blvd" and "Double Indemnity" are my favorites -- but I just can't get into his comedies.

on 4/5/2010

I too love Billy Wilder's noirs; however, that love does not reach past Sunset Boulevard and Ace in the Hole, I'm sorry to say. Double Indemnity was my first Billy Wilder film and, well, let's just say it wasn't love at first sight. While I liked the film, it is the closest I've come so far to encountering a dud in my look through Billy Wilder's filmography. Some Like it Hot, though, is fun, which is more than I can say for Double Indemnity. I may be one of those people that is baffled by the fame of Marilyn Manson, and found her performance to be especially lacking when compared to Jack Lemmon's or Tony Curtis', but she was serviceable enough for me to go along for the ride. And it was a fun ride, that's for sure.

on 7/25/2010

BILLY WILDER, BILLY WILDER, BILLY WILDER. Just rewatched Some Like It Hot about two days ago. The first bit you're like oh God, this is a movie about men in dresses, but then you remember that it's smart and funny too. It's been a bit since I've seen Double Indemnity, but from what I remember it's my favourite Wilder Noir. But not nearly as rewatchable. Once Some Like It Hot hits its stride, which takes like 40 minutes, probably around the time when they have that bedtime party on the train, it becomes one of the better comedies ever. In the upper eschelon, at least. Off the top of my head I can't say the same about Double Indemnity within its own genre. Some LIke It Hot wins.

on 8/22/2010

They are both masterpieces of their genre; Double Indemnity is one of the definitive film noirs and Some Like it Hot is a wonderful comedy. Some Like it Hot wins based on all the absurd humor and wonderful lines. If you disagree remember, "Nobody's Perfect."

on 11/15/2012

Hmm, my favorite Billy Wilder movie taking on my least favorite. Some Like It Hot has a few funny moments and it's never boring, but there's really nothing about it that I would describe as great. Double Indemnity is, by far, the superior film.

on 3/18/2014

Some Like it Hot is hilarious stuff, but like Caesar, Double Indemnity is my favorite film from Billy Wilder.

on 3/18/2014

Double Indemnity by mugging...

on 3/18/2014

Wilder's masterpiece of film-noir or Wilder's masterpiece of comedy. You can't go wrong with either but I'm going with Double Indemnity. I consider it Wilder's masterpiece and my all time favorite film-noir.

on 6/8/2014

Well...nobody's perfect.

on 5/17/2015

Some Like it Hot's humor has worn a little with age and I would have to disagree with the statement that it is one of the best comedies of all time. Double Indemnity, on the other hand, still chills me.

on 1/12/2016

Yes one of the most underappreciated Directors Wilder is Genius and I think Some Like it Hot is one of the smartest and funniest comedies that's not a direct Parody or spoof ever but Double Indemnity is one of the greatest more innovative and influential films ever made yet still by average/most movie goer gets forgotten and ignored its brilliant!

on 6/28/2016

My two favorite Wilder films at this point. When ranking Some Like It Hot, I assumed it would come in below Double Indemnity on my Flickchart, but when I didn't I decided not to rerank it for now. It's been a long time since I saw DI, but as a noir fan I loved how it conformed to most of the rules of the genre while still subtly parodying them. And I think Edward G. Robinson's performance is among the greatest on film. But perhaps because of the parodic elements I felt curiously removed from the characters and situations, which isn't something I tend to enjoy. Some Like It Hot may not be as good a film as DI on many levels, but it's charming throughout and I did care for the characters at unexpected moments, even though I thought all the men were heels.