16 comments

59 comments

I think the while the best scenes of the year were in Basterds, Avatar is the better, completely flawless film of the year.

My two favorite movies of 09. Gotta go with Avatar.

Completely flawless, huh? You may be the only person on the planet, other than James Cameron, who feels that way. Inglourious Basterds over Avatar, and it's not even close.

Avatar is too poorly written to ever be considered a great film, let alone a flawless one. It may be a great technological achievement, but Inglourious Basterds is actually a great movie.

JRM
JRM

I loved Avatar. Loved it. I'm one of the many, many people who knows it's not perfect, but doesn't care. It was a great, truly memorable cinematic experience, and one of my favorite movies of 2009. However, I just saw Inglourious Basterds and I have to say my love for it extends further than my love for Avatar.

Avatar has one of the crappiest writing of all time. Yes, great special effects, but no great movie. Basterds IS perfect.

Inglourious Basterds is my favorite Quentin Tarantino film. Avatar is nearly my least favorite James Cameron film. It only ranks above Titanic. Inglourious Basterds has superb acting and a level of substance to it. Avatar, well, doesn't. Inglourious Basterds.

Yeah, count me among those who considers Inglourious Basterds Tarantino's masterpiece. A surprisingly great film, and Avatar, while awesome, does not have much to say beyond rehashing old science fiction stories with modern effects. A good film for sure, but not as brilliant as Inglourious is.

Inglourious Basterds. Definitely. Avatar had no merit as a film except for the special effects.

I liked Avatar, despite actually having issues with the 3-D. (At times, I almost wished I was watching it in 2-D.) I enjoyed it a lot more than Basterds. There's great stuff in IB, but as a whole, the movie dragged. It might actually be a few minutes shorter than Avatar, but it felt longer. I loved Waltz, and the opening 20-minute scene, and Brad Pitt...but I found Avatar to be the more enjoyable film, overall, despite the unoriginality of its story.

Inglourious Basterds opened with the scene in the French farmhouse, the greatest scene in any movie this year. Avatar called its poorly-veiled reference for oil "unobtanium". Basterds has one of the scariest villains of all time in Hans Landa. Avatar has a two-dimensional colonel who said things like "you're not in Kansas anymore". Is there really a question here?

Again, I saw Avatar in 2D and minus the 3D razzle dazzle, the story absolutely sucked. Inglourious Basterds was a far better overall film. Why was Avatar nominated for anything other than FX no one will ever know.

These movies aren't even comparable. Basterds is SO much better than Avatar.

Two deeply flawed films: Basterds works in some of the chapters but is too long, doesn't work as a film and some of the writing seems indulgent. Avatar has 90 minutes of 'wow' but an hour of baggy dialogue, cliched characters and a predictable ending. Avatar wins for the 'wow' factor.

JRM
JRM

People could hate on Avatar all they want -- it's not gonna change the fact that so many people around the world loved it for what it was, including myself. That being said, Inglourious Basterds is my favorite movie of '09 and one of my all time favorite films.

Avatar is so hollow on plot that it's level of depth times four isn't even close to the complexity and as hard as it is to believe, amazing effects doesn't make a movie. Avatar is a good experience, Inglourious Basterds is a better film.

Fuck Avatar.

Avatar was probably the biggest waste of money in film history. Okay, maybe that's a bit hyperbolic, but honestly why spend millions upon millions of dollars on such a bland, overdone story? The Na'vis' appearance was too cartoonish for me, the 3D wasn't even that impressive, the acting from Worthington was shitty, the script was extremely weak, the action scenes were kind of dumb at times (mech suit wielding a giant knife?).... Basterds was SO much better, there's no comparison. Better script, better acting, more memorable characters, more substance, better music, better everything! Although I suppose it's not difficult to be better than one of the most disappointing movies of '09.

Avatar, deep visuals... shallow everything else.

I thought Avatar was OK, but Inglourious Basterds was amazing. The movie is so much more than the story of the Basterds. I like the idea that the working title for the film was Once Upon a Time in German Occupied France. I guess they couldn't fit that and Brad Pitt's head on the same movie poster. Oh well. . .

I'm not keen on either film, but Inglourious Basterds is clearly the better

Homage versus ripoff. My vote (obviously) goes to Inglourious Basterds.

i.b was good, but avatar better

no one could stand beside avatar

haha avatar

should vote to avatar

without thinking avatar is the greatest movie since 2000

><

Avatar is a poor B-movie excuse of a retelling of a story that is SOOOO old and trite (go watch Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves; SSDD)

to offset altra_n's horrible trolling of this match up. I bet he also thought all the Tyler Perry movies were masterpieces.

AVATAR!!!! its the highest grossing movie history and one of the best Titanic a bit better but avatar was good Titanic is my favorite movie of all time

well theres no doubt that avatar is a technological achievement and a good movie, but in comparison with inglourious basterds, its child play. IB is a movie classic very simply filmed yet very powerfull in every scene thanks to the genius of tarantino, so its good old filming vs new and incredibly special effects, in my heart classic filming will always win, and will always imerse more then new and more developed special effects. IB wins for a very long shot, for me personally the best tarantino movie ive seen almost tyed with pulp fiction.

If Pulp Fiction was to tragically cease to be,This just might be Tarantino's Masterpiece.

Inglorious Basterds. I don't have to tell you how overrated Avatar is, but I will. It's overrated. If this compasion was based on originality, Inglorious Basterds would win. If it was based on the script and the performances, Inglorious Basterds would win also. The only reason Avatar would win was if it was based on the visual effects, because that's the only thing amazing about that film.

I agree with the argument above me about how everything besides visual effects would make IB win. Avatar was overrated but the experience I had at the theater in 3D was quite enjoyable don't get me wrong but Inglourious Basterds has everything else besides visual effects and has a *NEW* and *ORIGINAL* story.

Inglourious Basterds fields a more unique story and presentation, but nevertheless, Avatar is my favourite. Yes, stories about sleeping with the enemy are ancient, but it is shown in a compelling way. The unique world of Avatar makes it seem fresh, but that's certainly not the strength of Avatar. Every frame feels necessary - either to show the plot, or show the world, or make later decisions and events plausible, or just to showcase plain old fun. It's certainly not the most intelligent movie ever, but one of the most entertaining ones in my opinion. Both movies feel like a Best Of showcasing from the directors, and in this case I have to say James Cameron > Quentin Tarantino.

The only question I have is how much lower should Avatar be from Basterds.

Inglorius Basterds just murdered some Na'vi Nazis here.

In eyeballs vs. brain, brain wins - oscar goes to Basterds.

Quentin Tarantino >James Cameron on this one. The Basterds had a much better story and was better acted than Avatar which was all special effects in my opinion.

Avatar is all looks, nothing underneath though. The most expensive movie ever made, with the cheapest story I've ever seen. Inglourious Bastards, easy easy easy decision!

Inglourious Basterds is better, entertaining, better story line and better re watch value.

Inglorious are Glorious

Going with Inglourious. Both had their boring moments, but I at least admired Inglourious a lot more in the end.

Pick any random ten minutes of Bastards and it's better than the sum of Cameron's turd.

Everyone who voted for Avatar...COME ON!!! You do realize that it was a remake of like three or four different films. Inglorious Basterds is the better film and anyone who says otherwise either doesn't know movies or hasn't seen Inglorious Basterds.

inglourious basterds, inglourious basterds, inglourious basterds, INGLOURIOUS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSTERDS!!! OH MY GOD!!!! this is a GREAT movie, like im talking GREAT! Inglourious Basterds is my #2 most favorite movie of all time on flickchart (one spot under "Drive") and my favorite Quentin Tarantino film (right above #2: Kill Bill Vol. 1). The great scenes in Inglourious Basterds: first scene on the farm, the Hugo Stiglitz introduction and Bear jew scene combined, the tavern scene, SPOLIER: the burning of the theater, when donny and eli roth's character have those hand shooter things and take out those guys, and the last scene. HECK, the whole movie is great! avatar is good n' all but doesnt compare 2 inglourious basterds. They need to make a second Inglourious Basterds but its like during Vietnam and they get scalp like Vietcong people. but wouldnt compare 2 the 1st IB.

While I can appreciate what Avatar did, it is not close to as good as Basterds. A film is about acting, directing, dialogue, atmosphere, etc all coming together and Avatar failed to make that happen.

I certainly like Avatar, but its story is too derivative and formulaic to even come close to beating a movie like Inglourious Basterds.

Inglourious will stay my favorite movie of all time, unless Django Unchained takes the spot

Inglorious Basterds. No contest here.

I still think Up was the best film of 2009 :D

Inglorious Basterds beats Avatar any day. Avatar was overhyped with groundbreaking special effects but very little else, a disappointment for a man who has created some of the most successful films financially and influencially over the years, particularly in the Sci-Fi genre, and who's movies pride themselves in story telling. In contrast, Inglorious Basterds is by no means Tarantino's best film, or even as amazing as I was expecting, but it was still a highly entertaining and pretty intense film with some decent twists. That said, District 9 is still my favourite film of 2009.

I'm going with Avatar. Doesn't mean I think it was a better movie, I'm simply more entertained by it...

Tarantino's maniac, fetishist style makes D9 a better movie.

Definantly Basterds, Avatar is the most overated movie of all time!

Wow it's like everything bad in Hollywood recently vs. everything decent to good in Hollywood recently.

@alismouha: OH, this IS Tarantino's masterpiece. I didn't enjoy Pulp Fiction as much as other people, but it was still good. I'm a sucker for Tarantino movies.

These movies are good for different reasons, and the only reason I like Avatar is because its fun to watch, not because the plot was interesting or overly clever.

Cameron's Aliens + Disney's Pocahontas + Peyo's Smurfs + 3D = Avatar - fuck Avatar! Inglourious Basterds wins easily.

Avatar is a turd of a movie. Inglourious Basterds has great acting, thick plot, tight set pieces and a great soundtrack. All James Cameron has to do is fart in a movie and it will be labeled a masterpiece.

Inglourious Basterds is the most compelling film of 2009 is was robbed of its much deserved Best Picture prize.

visuals or dialogue? id take dialogue any day of the week

Inglorious bastards gets my vote in this match-up

Inglourious Basterds is a balls-to-the-wall hardcore masterpiece. It manages to reach legendary status due to Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz, two seasoned veterans that tie the movie together. The Jew Hunter, Hans Landa is one of the most cynical and narcissistic antagonists in film history. Avatar on the other hand is just a collection of a bland script and a CGI cock fest.

I loved avatar, but inglorious is just too good

IB is a masterpiece. Avatar is very good, but FAR from a masterpiece.

IB, but Avatar is still in my top 20 for good reasons

ib

ib

Inglourious Basterds! Each time I watch this film it just keeps getting better and better! Avatar was a fun and beautiful film to watch, its script was a little predictable, unoriginal, and weak. IB had far superior dialogue, story, and acting, and as always Tarantino is great directing the film! Christoph Waltz and Melanie Laurent's performances were fantastic!

Both are incredible films but I'm going to have to go with Inglourious Basterds.

Bastards clearly. I understand about all the special techincal crap but it should not be the experience. The acting and the plot...especially with the plot twist, that should be greatly considered in a movie. The end of Bastards was awesome. With Hitler and all of the High Command killed. I hated Avatar. I felt like I should be watching this at Disney World. Not even close.

I think it's unfair to dismiss Avatar just because it leans so much on its effects. It's not like it's terribly written or acted. It just doesn't compare favorably in those departments to Basterds or other best picture nominees. There are many elements to film-making, and who's to say that one is important and another is not? The purpose of these films was to entertain, and both did that in a big way in very different ways. I love both, but I vote Avatar because it was easily the most amazing movie-going experience of my life.

Basterds

Inglourious basterds wins this close match up.I love them both though

Avatar is kinda ass. ESPECIALLY compared to Inglourious.

I can't stand Avatar.

I've seen Avatar several times but I can't understand the love for it. Visually it's stunning but that's the film's main focus, with the story and characters are both lacking in depth and originality while Bastards has several fantastic scenes in an overall great film. Bastards gets my vote.

ear
ear

Inglorious Bastards by a long shot.

Inglourious Basterds>Avatar

1 avatar ,the best movie forever

Of course Inglorious Basterds. Avatar was only really popular cause of the CGI. As a movie/story, it’s very, very weak. Definitely not one of James Cameron’s best. Inglorious is a masterpiece that shouldn’t even have to be compared to Avatar. Like many Tarantino films, it’s tight, super well made and acted, got great structure, and fantastic characters your certainly remember. Avatar stands no chance here.

I actually like Avatar, but only really for the effects. The story is okay, but not really all that memorable. Basterds, on the other hand, is in my top 50 movies of all time and a certifiable masterpiece. It could very well be Tarantino's finest film