13 comments

41 comments

JRM
JRM

Cameron Blockbuster Showdown. I have to give it to Avatar; the greatest cinematic experience I've ever had. Sure the story wasn't as revolutionary as the special effects, but the story was executed wonderfully and had some fresh ideas. It may not be my absolute favorite movie of all time, but the experience I had watching it in 3D was mind-blowing.

Wow, very very hard. I think I'm gonna have to go with Titanic.

Finally the VS I wanted since I saw Avatar! While Titanic is a better love story, more epic, Avatar is more beautiful and movie experience. I saw Titanic at a Drive-In and Avatar in 3D. I can see the flaws in both, I can admire both for what they are.

Interesting matchup of the two biggest movies ever. I'm not a huge fan of either one, but I'm also not one of the haters. I actually feel the same about each one. I somewhat enjoyed each when I first saw them in the theater and I have no interest in ever seeing either one again. Titanic is a fascinating movie in that it was the biggest, most popular film ever and now it's hard to find anyone who even likes it. Talk about aging badly. Anyways, I think the same thing is going to happen with Avatar. Ten years from now it's going to look pretty silly. And since it contains giant blue aliens and robots with knives it'll be a little sillier than Titanic.

The two highest grossing movies ever. I am going to go with Titanic. Avatar was good, but seemed to be mostly eyecandy at parts.

I'm kind of with locomotivebreath: I like both of these movies, but certainly don't have them at the top of my list. Avatar's going to win with me simply because of my love for science fiction, but they're both about equal in my mind. Titanic gets too much flak; I think people just started hating on it BECAUSE it was so successful. Same thing with Avatar, in a way. I do know this: If Avatar could not sell me on 3-D, nothing will. 3-D sucks. Oh, yeah, Titanic 3-D is coming in 2012, isn't it...? (Man, I used to LOVE James Cameron's movies.)

Both movies get too much flak. Having said that, I have to admit that when it comes to Avatar I'm one of the flak givers. Sure 3-D is fun. But I don't care about it enough to rate a movie on. I loved Titanic when it came out; I still like it. Avatar I will never see again.

JRM you're an idiot.

Well, that was uncalled for...

JRM
JRM

I guess so is most of the world, Fiction_Fox. It's a movie. Chill. I didn't sleep with your sister.

@JohnMason, I think you've simplified the causality a little bit. Yeah people hate these movies because they're successful. If they weren't successful we'd simply accept them for the turds they are which IS the foundation of our hate. The hate just gets vented more because of the unjust billions Cameron whored himself for. Meh, maybe unjust is a strong word. Idiotic is a good word. Both movies are monumentally stupid. Banal, melodramatic scripts that POSE as something more than mediocrity is far worse than a a piecie of shit that accepts its own shitness. No ad hominem argument’s gonna change that.

@Cleckley: Hm, well, fair enough. I guess I just don't think either of these movies is quite THAT bad. I've enjoyed watching both at least twice. (Liked Avatar a little better the second time in the comfort of my own home, as a matter of fact.) I do think Cameron is a better director and visionary than he is a writer; neither film is exactly inspired in the screenplay department.

Titantic, no question. I didn't engage with the characters nearly as well in Avatar as I did in Titanic. I think the visual effects got in the way of the story, but even without the effects the story of Avatar isn't particulaly original. Neither is Titanic, but come on. Titanic is classic, and despite the fact that Avatar made more money and is more impressive looking, Titanic is engaging throughout and doesn't feel like a 3 hour movie. Avatar does.

You know, neither of these films get enough flak. Yes they both get plenty, but neither really get the utter panning they deserve. They are both symptomatic of what ails the film industry. Big, mind-numbing mass hallucinations that enable the brain/popcorn interface turning your synapses to porrige. They are voodoo, they enslave massive populations as passive zombies, placated into willingly becoming part of a docile herd, ready to follow blithey the dictates of the powerful. These cinematic turds make you conform, draw off your creativity, destroy your will and steal your souls. Wake up people and smell the manure! But of the two I'd pick Titanic.

Battle of the pointlessly long expensive cliches.

Titanic is one of z grattes movie in movies history . so no movies compare or came closser to titanic,we must not jugged movies by there wagge.

absolutly AVARTA

I'd pick Titanic because Avatar is a fictional story that takes place a bit in the future. Titanic is a love story that takes place on the greatest ship in history. So all you guys shouldn't judge movies. keep your thoughts about to your self because maybe people like these movies. Titanic is my favorite movie of all time I've been watching it since i was 5 so out of the two of the great movies i'd pick Titanic Avatar is my second favorite movie

I still remember the first time that I ever saw Titanic in the theaters all of those years ago. It was quite revolutionary in its own self. I also liked the story and the acting better in it than in Avatar and the simple fact that it never gets old no matter how many times you view it. The epic ship wins.

excellent

I love science fiction, but I found Titanic's story more engrossing than Avatar's.

Avartar for me

CAMERON CLASH! Titanic is more complete,almost a perfect movie in all aspects.

Calm down People! I will go in-depth with my opinion. When I first saw AVATAR, in IMAX 3D as it was meant to be experienced, I had the immediate thought that it was a perfect film. Two viewings later, I noticed the screenplay...enough said. TITANIC takes this one because of the great HUMAN love story that was simple and able to be taken in without any smurf visuals. Also, this was Cameron's practice run for AVATAR and Titanic still rings true for a larger percentage of the population. AVATAR had perfect visuals, I understand that! but Celine Dion makes me a bit more weepy than Leona Lewis, so with a score of 3-1, this round is won by the Original record holder: TITANIC. but I still have no idea why Cameron is re-releasing it in 3D. Perhaps he wants another ballroom in his grand mansion of Doom?

Calm down People! I will go in-depth with my opinion. When I first saw AVATAR, in IMAX 3D as it was meant to be experienced, I had the immediate thought that it was a perfect film. Two viewings later, I noticed the screenplay...enough said. TITANIC takes this one because of the great HUMAN love story that was simple and able to be taken in without any smurf visuals. Also, this was Cameron's practice run for AVATAR and Titanic still rings true for a larger percentage of the population. AVATAR had perfect visuals, I understand that! but Celine Dion makes me a bit more weepy than Leona Lewis, so with a score of 3-1, this round is won by the Original record holder: TITANIC. but I still have no idea why Cameron is re-releasing it in 3D. Perhaps he wants another ballroom in his grand mansion of Doom?

Titanic has a way better story and a much more powerful ending. Although Avatar was visually amazing and better, Titanic wins for me!

Although I'm not a girl and not gay I really like Titanic. But I would always take Avatar over Titanic.

Titanic is Cameron's true triumph, not some badly-acted ripoff of hundreds of already-done ideas.

A saw Avatar 3 times. Twice in 2D and once in Imax 3D. That movie is what blockbuster movie making is all about. My favourite movie remains Inception. I never like Titanic. Too much melodrama like a Hindi (Bollywood) movie. You have to accept that James Cameron knows how to position movies at the sweet spot for reaching the widest audience. Avatar has to be credited for taking cinema as a medium forward by advancing technology. I think it did not deserve enough credit for being the most technologically influential movie of our time that has enlarged the scope for others who are better at weaving a yarn.

WOW! Cameron really is the box-office King, isn't he? But I think Avatar is better than Titanic. Avatar may be simplistic but it's definitely effective as a sci-fi flick with a moral message. It's an absolute technical achievement for starters. People can SAY that the effects in the film weren't impressive or this and that, but they are either lying or just being hard headed. The film broke ground in special effects and in immersive filmmaking, and I'm not just talking about the 3D...the way it was filmed had a very enveloping way about it, a lot of the camera angles and movements simulate the feeling of being there WITHOUT making everything a POV shot or doing everything super tight and handheld like a Michael Bay film. I was absolutely mesmerized by the third act of Titanic. Masterful direction by Cameron. You could literally sense the panic and despair as the ship was sinking. Like T2, Titanic was also a landmark in special-effects. Of course, I consider Cameron a bit of a technical genius. Cameron is an excellent director but a rather mediocre writer. The dialogue was the weak link in both the films (more so in Titanic). But his stories have this knack of connecting with the audiences and the box-office results are sufficient proof of that. T2 still remains his best film though.

Hmm, Avatar is primarily a textbook CGI movie, a lesson in how to use all of today's creative effects. Cameron put it well together and made a great film, if not slightly overrated. Titanic is more than that. It was, at the time it appeared on screen in 97, like a Porsche in a parking lot full of rusty Ford vans. And for that, wins this rather comfortably.

I neither hate no love either of them, but I would definitely rather sit down and watch Titanic again before I sat down to watch Avatar again.

Avatar may have been more visually stimulating, but none of if could really match the fear and panic captured in the sinking sequences in Titanic. Both love stories were crap though.

God i hate both these movies ill take Titanic over Pocahontas with blue people.

Avatar belongs on the side of some new age retro hippie's van or some shitty faux-native mural your grandmother would buy.

I will admit, when I saw each of these they became among my favorite movies. I've moved on from that. Once I stepped back and tried to analyze them, I realized no, they aren't masterpieces or "high art", but I don't think either is as bad as some say. Sure, Avatar's dialogue is crap and the plot is recycled, but it doesn't bother me that much because I enjoyed the presentation. When you get down to it, Avatar feels like a classic action-adventure movie with a simplistic story and characters, but it's action scenes deliver and on the whole, I think the film is well-constructed. Titanic struggles with similar problems- a been-there, done-that story with so-so dialogue and not-so-spectacular acting. But again, it feels like a throwback to the Hollywood of old. Even though the specifics of the story are nothing new, it's very well told and on top of that, the last hour is fantastic movie-making. Good movies, both of them, but my vote goes to Titanic.

Love them both, but Titanic wins.

I think Avatar is a fine movie. It was very visually stimulating with a moderate story line; But it's no Titanic. I don't have anything against Avatar but in this VS Avatar is a grain of sand and Titanic is the Ocean.

Both totally shitty non-saying mainstream movies.

I enjoyed both, but Titanic wins for the story.

I have no problem picking Avatar here. Titantic was fine...but Avatar...visually, especially the in theater experience, was just great.

Avatar by far, titanic is so overrated its funny shitty love story

both are flawed ,both are overrated ,both have a story that didn't make any sense to me ,I love to hate both ,titanic wins by default

Titanic. The boat sinking scene was way more thrilling than anything in Avatar

Titanic is the far superior film; beautifully acted with a poignant tale of love portrayed through a great script and score. Avatar is just CGI

Titanic is the far superior movie. The 1st two hours is a fantastic film about the classes and the caste system of the boat itself. The scene that ends the 1st VHS tape (who else had the 2 pack VHS?) where the guy is bragging about making headlines if they arrive a day early would have been a perfect ending. The hour long sinking is completely overdone, but magnificent in the production itself. Avatar is Pocahontas, so it's a little less enjoyable considering it's a stolen plot with blue people instead of Native Americans.

lol people keep picking the wrong film. I hated titanic's romantic scenes, so lamie-lame, Avatar was much cooler.

James Cameron's true masterpiece: Titanic. Still makes grown men weep.

Avatar wins it comfortably for me. Some people would argue it's over rated and I slightly agree, but it's still a great movie.

Titanic no contest. One of the greatest movies ever IMO

Titanic is a little better IMHO. Even it is 32 mins or so longer.

Titanic is a little better IMHO. Even it is 32 mins or so longer.

Love Titanic and while I saw Avatar in 3-D in theaters and it was grand I never liked it all that much!

Both Titanic and Avatar are simple. At least titanic has a heart while avatar is hollow.

ear
ear

Titanic easily wins this.

Titanic is far better. Avatar has a great first half but its second half just sucks, whereas Titanic is entertaining for more than 3 hours.

I’m going to say Titanic was decent better because has better visual effects and better cinema and while Avatar is one of pure bad forgettable one of the useless bad sci-fi films ever.

Avatar is the better James Cameron film