Gladiator vs. Braveheart

30 comments

26 comments

Gladiator is but a shadow in the glorious sun that is Braveheart.

I love both of these movies nearly equally, right now they're numbers 4 and 5 on my list (and my top 10 likely won't be changing anytime soon). I give Gladiator the win here (just *slightly*) because I prefer Antiquity to Medieval Times. Both movies play fast and loose with history, but that doesn't get in the way of the fact that they're fantastic films.

Two massive epics, two raving lunatic lead actors. This is a battle for the ages.

I'm sorry, I think Braveheart is great, it's a wonderful story, Mel Gibson is fantastic both in front of and behind the camera, but I have a hard time watching it. I frikkin' love Gladiator, though. Crowe is supremely bad@$$ in that thing.

Impossible

Both are equally valid as history lessons, but at least Gladiator doesn't pretend to be a true story. I'm going with Gladiator, but I prefer Kingdom of Heaven to both.

I'm going with "Braveheart," because I'm far more impressed with its production values. I was simply too conscious of the CGI in "Gladiator" to get comfortable watching it.

Two great historical epics. Great performances from both leads but Ive got to go with Braveheart. FREEEEDOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!

Russell Crowe beats Mel Gibson but I choose Braveheart over Gladiator.

This is the best match up I can come up with. MAXIMUS!!!!!

Both are very well done epic films, but there is just something about Braveheart that just made me space out and lose interest very earlier on. It was honestly hard for me to sit through. It's very pretty to look at, but lacks a soul. Gladiator is emotionally more powerful and had exciting action that kept me engrossed in the film.

Gladiator for me because it's less depressing. Braveheart certainly is a good movie, but I probably won't ever watch it again.

When I first watched Braveheart I was 14 and couldn't stop thinking about the movie for weeks. I simply love it.

Mel Gibson directed a masterpiece.

I have to go with the majority here and say 'Braveheart' not because it came first, and I wish I could pick because one has better music - but John Williams and Hans Zimmer both do stunning, rousing works.Or better lead acting, Russell and Mel would have one intense staring contest... I even like Gladiator's cast a lot more... but Braveheart had more heart? Guess that's the deciding factor here.

mechster, Braveheart's score was by James Horner, not John Williams, and for me its epic sweep is far more memorable than Zimmer's work on Gladiator. In general I prefer Russell Crowe to Mel Gibson as an actor, and though my memory's a bit hazy I think his work in this specific film is superior to Gibson's Wallace as well. But I too am going with Braveheart, because it moved me emotionally, which is something that didn't happen as much with Gladiator. A curious phenomenon, as it should have been a very moving film, and I know others who are moved by it.

This litterally pains me. Two of my top five all time...but FREEDOM squeaks by...

Its "FREEEEEDOM" vs "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?????".But Joaquin and Crowe were just impeccable.Gladiator it is.

Braveheart v Gladiator is the hardest challenge you can have. Two of the best movies ever made. Splitting hairs on this one, but I will edge in favor of Gladiator. When I get match ups like this I simply ask myself, which movie do I watch more often. I watch Gladiator more than I was Braveheart. I don't know why...I just know I do. I watch Gladiator 2 or 3 times a year...Braveheart maybe 1 time a year. I love both of these films and this is the only way I could choose.

Battle of two of the greatest historical epics of alltime. I have to go with Gladiator but it is a close match.

comparing braveheart to gladiator is the biggest insult ever...gibson rules....

My two favorite movies! however gladiator wins this one easily. i think it has one of the best endings ever.

Gladiator. By a million miles.

This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy, Braveheart murders Gladiator. Mel's performance was way better than Russel's. And Braveheart had one of the best endings a movie can have, maybe #1 best movie ending for me would have to be a tie between Inglourious Basterds, Shawshank Redemption, Braveheart, or 300.

For me, this is one brutally tough matchup; both movies are pure greatness. I guess if I could only watch one movie for the rest of my life and these were the only two movies to choose from, I think I'd have to go with...um...Braveheart, I guess. Yeah, Braveheart.

Gladiator is the one for me that holds up upon repeated viewings...

Braveheart wins Gladiator gets worse and worse everytime i seem to watch it.

I think people need to watch Gladiator again...it has some rather corny parts, and even some that should've been left on the cutting room floor (like LotR it's long and not for good reason). Braveheart is almost flawless in it's direction and execution. It's completely timeless, it's still awesome now and I can't see a time in the future where it won't be...

Gladiator

Braveheart .

Braveheart all the way!

brave heart isn't bad at all but I personally didn't like it that much.I'm going with gladiator here.

Both are amazing stories told so well, but Gladiator is just above and beyond.

Gladiator. Have'nt seen Braveheart in a while.

Both great movies but Braveheart still crushes Gladiator.

Gotta go with gladiator

Braveheart is far superior because of the storyline alone. The greatness of Rome pales in comparison to the greatness of freedom. No matter what we think of Mel Gibson, his performance, direction and production of Braveheart is one of the greatest films of all-time.

Braveheart is just much braver but Gladiator is still great

Braveheart sucks. It's boring and cliche. The Battle scenes are directed well and I like the big line in it but overall a very bad film. Gladiator is not as overrated because it doesn't suck but it's a mediocre film. It's formulatic, it's characters are so black and white good and evil characters, boring at times, almost all close-up shots and almost the whole film is montage editing, too theatrical to me and too long. I can see why a lot of people (who doesn't understand anything about cinema thou) like Gladiator and gets even inspired by it and Russel crowe makes a good performance in it, it has a good use of computer technic and some points it's even entertaining. This match-up to Gladiator but quite often it loses too because of the reasons that I just said

Braveheart is my number 1 out of the current 1,716 movies on my list. Gladiator was good but it's light years below Braveheart. I saw Braveheart when I was 11 with my older sister, even at that age I fell in love with it. I laughed, I cried, mouth open in awe, raged, cried again, cheered while crying. All the emotion. At 11 you're not supposed to be interested in movies like this, politics, love, betrayal, redemption, heartache but I was, that's the power of Braveheart. Even now I love it more than ever, I understood it then, I understand it even more now.

Braveheart is my number 1 out of the current 1,716 movies on my list. Gladiator was good but it's light years below Braveheart. I saw Braveheart when I was 11 with my older sister, even at that age I fell in love with it. I laughed, I cried, mouth open in awe, raged, cried again, cheered while crying. All the emotion. At 11 you're not supposed to be interested in movies like this, politics, love, betrayal, redemption, heartache but I was, that's the power of Braveheart. Even now I love it more than ever, I understood it then, I understand it even more now.

Gladiator

1995's Braveheart Is One Of My Favorite Films.

Braveheart cause I think Gladiator is overated.

I like gladiator but it is no way better than braveheart .Braveheart wins easily

Braveheart destroys!

Give me Gladiator on this one any day.

Both great epics but I found myself remembering Gladiator more vividly. Joaquin Phoenix is simply amazing, and I feel Ridley Scott elevates upon the epic action setpieces that were defined in Braveheart to a new and remarkable level.

I'm going to go with Gladiator because Maximus is more powerful than William Wallace.

I'm going to go with Gladiator. Maximus is a great warrior. However, I used to think that Braveheart is a sad movie that makes me feel better.

Both movies are great, but I still love Gladiator.

"You sold me queer giraffes."

Braveheart is just more moving and uplifting for me. Despite its excessive tampering with history, it manages to convey a strong, uplifting message that makes me want to stand up and cheer every time I watch it. Gladiator, to me, is just a very technically sound, pretty-looking film with a mediocre story that feels like a bit like a poor man's Spartacus. Braveheart all the way.

Two great films with bummer endings. I honestly don't know where I rank them versus one another so the result will surprise me when I click! Oh the drama...........

not close. braveheart's only drawback is its too epic!

Both films are overrated, historically inaccurate, actor jerk-off sessions. But Gladiator less so. So thats where my vote goes.

Braveheart isn't a terrible movie it's just littered with mistakes. I'll choose Gladiator

Maximus would beat William Wallace.

Gladiator is 100% trash

Both are great epic films. Braveheart portrays William Wallace's bigger than it actually was. Historically, it was all about Robert the Bruce.

Braveheart is so absurdly inaccurate, its painful. It's Spartacus plus the story of Queen Boudicca smashed together, with Scottish nobleman, William Wallace's name plastered on it. While Gladiator is a bit inaccurate, in how it portraits Commodus, at least the main character is purely fictional.

This one is more difficult. I like Mel more than Russell Crow so I will go....with Braveheart.

ear
ear

Braveheart is but a shadow compared to the brilliance of Gladiator.