The Godfather vs. The Departed

14 comments

9 comments

This choice kept me here for a while. But I've got to go with The Godfather. But this was practically a flip of the coin.

These very well could be the two greatest crime movies ever. But... you never go against family.

Yeah, i agree with both of you this is a real tough one, both amazing movies, but Godfather is king

I've always thought The Godfather was over long -- over hyped -- and overrated. The Departed is punchy, and hip. The Departed wins.

The Departed is great, but I love Goodfellas more. Win goes to The Godfather.

JRM
JRM

I've only seen The Godfather once and The Departed a handful of times, so I'm giving this to The Godfather for now.

The Departed is tremendous but The Godfather is a masterpiece.

GOAT

The Departed is the only gangster movie I've seen that I can say I genuinely love.

shibadou said everything that needs to be said. Depahted FTW.

Another big match up. The GF.

Both masterpieces. Ill give this one to Coppola though.

Aaah...crap. The Godfather.

The Godfather for sure. Departed lacked in some areas.

I will go with the Godfather but not by much.

The Departed is a more complete movie in my opinion.

best movie ever.

the godfather was original and it's timeless masterpiece .I can't say the same for the departed still a great film

The Departed is an excellent film and my favourite Scorcese film to date, but it still can't compete with The Godfather.

The Godfather

Godfather is great. Departed is better.

The departed is far better movie.I like Godfather but it is a bit boring at parts(yes it is and we all know that,but don't agree) and has some unnecessary sequenses that should have been edited out.I still like it.It's a treasure trove of outstanding performances.But it can't match with Scorsese's greatest IMO

The Godfather is a masterpiece, but in this one The Departed always gets much better to watch again and again sorry Vito Corleone but i can't refuse to the brillant scenes and kills in The Departed and for that my preference is The Departed

The Departed is awesome, but yeah The Godfather easily takes this

Godfather without a doubt.

I love the departed by the godfather set the standard for crime movies.

The Godfather is one of the weakest gangster movies in my opinion