The Godfather vs. Memento

19 comments

7 comments

on 10/21/2012

The Godfather. Marlon Brando is just stunning in leading a stellar cast, only to be upstaged by Al Pacino.

on 10/21/2012

Memento is a film that I admire a lot more than I enjoy, whereas I admire and enjoy The Godfather in equal measure. For that reason, The Godfather wins here easily.

on 1/30/2013

This is actually tough.

on 1/30/2013

The Godfather, sorry Nolan.

on 2/27/2013

Marlon Brando owns....Godfather is just one of the best movies ever made and can almost never be beaten!

on 3/21/2013

See, here's the problem. There's ambiguity surrounding the "versus" comparison. Flickchart doesn't clearly state whether we're talking about "greatest" or "best". If we're talking greatest, Godfather is the obvious choice. But if we're talking best, I personally think Memento wins. There, I said it.

on 3/21/2013

^Exactly. The login screen starts with "If they're all 5 stars...which one is the best?", yet you have to make a list of your "favorite" movies. But anyway, I like The Godfather more AND I think it's the better movie. So eh...whatever. But if it was, I dunno, Big Trouble in Little China vs. Casablanca...now that's a toughie.

on 3/21/2013

Nonsense. There's no ambiguity at all. It's simply a matter of personal preference and philosophical perspectives. Some will choose to separate between "favourite" and "best". Others will not. Some will equate the terms, semantically even. Others will find a distinction. Some that find a distinction (with a difference, necessarily) will choose to disregard it. Others will not. It's not complicated unless you choose to make it complicated.

on 3/21/2013

The Godfather. Is this a serious question?

on 5/4/2013

OneTooMany... The fact that you pointed out some people will make a distinction between "favorite" and "best" while others consider them semantically synonymous proves that there is indeed ambiguity.

on 5/4/2013

Godfather is one of the films nearest to perfection but, though stunning for its time, does not push boundaries today and that is its downfall. Memento is not executed in the same way as Godfather but is so much more original with the structure. A hard comparison but Memento wins

on 5/20/2013

I love Memento & its really a great movie with a highly innovative story & great cast. But its really doesn't stand a chance. The Godfather is equally stunning even today & the fact that its scenes & lines are frequently quoted, homage-d & spoofed in many modern movies gives sufficient evidence of its originality & influence.

on 5/20/2013

Sorry for the grammar....typing in a hurry

on 4/6/2014

The Godfather. Memento is really good yeah but it tries to hard to be stylistic and intelligent

on 4/13/2014

I'm sorry Coppola I'm choosing Memento

on 7/30/2015

It's funny how SquareMaster isn't on here bashing Godfather. For me I'll take Godfather, While both have slow pacing storylines, Both have great acting and tense moments. Godfather has more to offer though.

on 8/2/2015

Memento is simply more stunning more orignal has a lesser run time and is a better movie

on 1/12/2017

both these movies are so horrendously, terribly awful it hurts my brain. I would rather watch a blank wall for 3 hours. butttt.....i guess memento because i HAVE to choose

on 3/14/2018

Both movies are one of the greatest films of all times, but in this match up! ...The Godfather is the winner here!

on 3/14/2018

Neither gets my vote

ear
ear

on 3/15/2018

As stunning as Memento is it can't compete with the brilliance and master story telling of The Godfather.

on 5/31/2018

As much the Godfather is a brilliant classic ever, but I'm rather deciding going with Memento.

on 6/1/2018

For this match-up at least, I'd have to agree with the "less is more" philosophy and choose Memento. What Nolan lacked in terms of resources, he made up for big time with writing and editing; and when the origin of your cinematic genius is endogenous, you can direct--even on a measly budget--one of the most thematically complex films of all time. Admittedly, such praise gets thrown around indiscriminately on this site, but doubt not my sincerity when I apply it to Memento. There was one other thing I wanted to share but... I seem to have forgotten it *fade out*

on 6/28/2018

I rather rewatch Memento cause it's more convenient stunning perfect story mode...

on 6/28/2018

I rather rewatch Memento cause it's more convenient stunning perfect story mode...

on 9/11/2018

Memento for now.

on 9/11/2018

Memento for now.