Dunkirk vs. Interstellar

8 comments

9 comments

Both are great. Much more thinking involved in Interstellar. It is more epic than Dunkirk and some scenes are so damn awesome (Copper leaving, Cooper and Dr. Mann fight, water planet, Cooper watching his kids grow up, docking scene, etc.). However the ending is quite silly with the Morse code watch and all. Dunkirk is a perfectly paced intense adventure that puts you in the shoes of the characters involved. There are great scenes but not as much as Interstellar (probably just cuz its shorter). I'm afraid that Dunkirk is purely a visual movie and there is nothing else to it, whereas Interstellar is a visual experience but also includes depth that Dunkirk is lacking like are humans are inherently selfish and will not save generations beyond them and their kids? Was Dr. Mann really a coward? Although Dunkirk is a better directed and produced film and probably a masterpiece, I will give the edge to Interstellar because there is more to take in than just visuals.

This is an argument I've constantly had with my brother the last 7 weeks! I like Interstellar. It's visually stunning, I love the father-daughter relationship and I thought was very emotional. Although, it had a lot of storytelling and exposition problems and the ending just didn't work for me. Dunkirk reminded me why I love movies because of it's visual storytelling and gritty style of filmmaking! I don't get the "no emotion" complaints since there were a lot of subtle moments with the acting and the urgency was also really impactful. I was probably more relieved when the soldiers made home more so than I was when Cooper made it home! Dunkirk is the movie I've wanted for awhile and it's Nolan's masterpiece!

Dunkirk easily. The 3 rd act of interstellar was utter trash

I enjoyed Dunkirk, but it didn't really connect with me on the same level Interstellar did.

Interstellar is Nolan's big achievement this decade. Dunkirk is a bit sterile, but Interstellar is eight months pregnant with emotion.

I’m going Dunkirk, i very much admire interstellar, but there aspects that don’t quite work for me. Whereas Dunkirk is a cinematic achievement imho

Interstellar is one the greatest films of our time. Dunkirk isn't. Interstellar>Dunkirk

Honestly, I don't regard Interstellar that highly. An ambitious film to be sure (but then, which of Nolan's filmography couldn't be described so), and visually stunning (but I repeat myself), but it tries to 2001 wayyyyyyy too hard for its own good whilst injecting Spielbergian awe and whimsy into it, which figures since I read somewhere that Spielberg was originally attached to the project. The last time the emotional range of Spielberg was interwoven with the clinical precision of Kubrick, we got AI: Artificial Intelligence, and while I certainly wouldn't call that a bad film, and Interstellar is definitely a more cohesive film, they both suffer from tonality problems, and I found myself struggling to find a reason to care about anything or anyone in Interstellar. Dunkirk was Nolan going back to what he did best; building worlds and telling stories through pure cinematic craft and technical ambition. Ultimately, I was infinitely more moved by Dunkirk as all the ingredients of story pacing, narrative structure, cinematography, production design, editing, sound and Hans Zimmer's inspired, metronomic score (seriously, that guy needs more Oscars; he's only got The Lion King in his trophy cabinet for goodness sake, and that's not even his best work!) all come together to enrich the experience and hit me harder in the soul that Matthew McConaughey pulling a constipated face while yelling "MURRRRRPPPPPHHHHH" for the umpteenth time ever could. Dunkirk wins.

Dunkirk...and easily...

I still don't fully understand Interstellar

ear
ear

Interstellar gave us characters to care about and Dunkirk seemed outright

ear
ear

Interstellar gave us characters to care about and Dunkirk seemed remote and distant from emotional involvement.

Easily Dunkirk for me. The movies sequences are absolutely brilliant and downright hypnotic as well as terrifying, the sense of urgency that you feel throughout this movie, it's just incredible.

The last act of Interstellar is an insult to the intricately plotted, beautifully executed and shot two hours that went before. Still, it achieves far more than the tedious Dunkirk.

Interstellar was more memorable, and feels more unique, than Dunkirk.

Dunkirk is the superior film but Interstellar is much more rewatchable-

Dunkirk by a pretty big margin tbh. Dunkirk is probably Nolan's most human movie, spending quite a bit of time showing the faces of people reacting to the events. We see the fear on the faces of the characters as certain things happen, the silent and subtle despair as soldiers dive into the waves, and more. The movie is epic, and masterfully portrays war as something horrible. It doesn't do this through specifically showing the horrors of war, but rather just showing it as is, and letting us come to the conclusion. Interstellar's last act is just really bad with the exposition, horrible sound design, and forced emotion, while Dunkirk lets emotion become more natural. It doesn't have incessant amounts of sobbing to get its point across, but through smart filmmaking and screenwriting. Dunkirk is a masterpiece and Nolan's best movie.

I love Dunkirk, some of the best war movies of recent times, but Interstellar is perhaps the best movie of the 2010s