Dunkirk vs. The Prestige

1 comments

4 comments

ooo. Dunkirk for me

Dunkirk was a crap experience no two ways about it. The Prestige is far better because it's an actual film and the stellar cast is allowed to shine.

My two favourite Nolan movies. The Presitige's creative plot and complex characters or the incredibly well made and intense Dunkirk? Dunkirk was a very intense experience and it has a lot of subtle moments of humanity that makes it as emotional as The Prestige. Let's just agree but Nolan is a masterful director!

Dunkirk relies on spectacle and narrative intensity, and The Prestige relies on characterization and narrative density. Only one of these gets better with repeat viewings. The Prestige is Nolan's true masterpiece.

Dunkirk is a great movie. Marvelous direction by Christopher Nolan. Yes it lacks in characterization and script departments but it doesn't makes the movie bad, on the contrary actually it fills the movie with realism. During war You don't sit around a camp site making barbeques and talking about sick father, pregnant wife, aged mother , school going kids.( that is the family members you left behind before joining the battlefield) You try to survive . You try to make sure you return to your family members who are waiting for you casual chatting ain't helping you survive. The pacing of Dunkirk is great. It is a quite a short movie compared to many other war movies and it does not makes you exhausted. So all in all Dunkirk is one of the best war movies of recent times and one of the best movie of the year. It's my SECOND favorite Christopher Nolan movie. The only other Nolan movie which beats Dunkirk is The prestige. Yup. The one true masterpiece of Christopher Nolan according to me will forever be the prestige. Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale gave some of the very best acting performances of their respective career in this movie. The script and dialogues of the prestige is on another level entirely. The movie is gripping , intense , filled with twists and turns and keeps you guessing till the very last moment. I have rewatched it a countless number of times and it never seizes to amaze me. So even though Dunkirk is great movie it can't match with the greatness of The Prestige.