Scott Pilgrim vs. the World vs. The Social Network

4 comments

3 comments

JRM
JRM

The two films that fought for the title of second favorite film of the year. The winner is The Social Network.

These are my two favorite films of the year, and both manage to capture two different sides of a generation. While The Social Network channels our industrious and ambitious side and accurately reflects how quickly progress is made in the modern world, Scott Pilgrim represents the side that is made up of slackers. The side that is easygoing, and more intent on playing video games than making something of themselves. Scott Pilgrim wins by a slim margin because of the pop culture overload that I have received, now having watched it about eight times since it was released in theaters.

The Social Network is interesting. That's the most positive thing I can think to say about it. Years from now, after facebook is buried next to myspace, it may be fun to look back at this as a slice of history. But as for movies that "define a generation" Scott Pilgrim gets my vote. Or at least it's how this old bird sees today's generation. Apathetic slackers. Also, Scott Pilgrim is a really fun movie; it's one I would enjoy seeing multiple times, it was a blast in the theater.

Both great films! Going with the Network!!!

I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim more, but The Social Network is the better film.

Scott Pilgrim is the better movie. The Social Network was good, but its not a movie I would see myself watching again.

Hey, we're not apathetic slackers. We slack on principle.

I really love both of these movies - but I will watch Scott Pilgrim absolutely anytime. That makes it win out for me.

Cera solos