The Magnificent Seven vs. Seven Samurai

1 comments

7 comments

The original or the Americanized remake? As much as I love the remake, I got to give it to the original because it's so epic.

Definitely Seven Samurai. It's a very japanese story. Although the Magnificent Seven is also one of my favorite movies, Seven Samurai just has more soul.

While I may be committing some kind of cinematic heresy here, I must say that The Magnificent Seven is the superior film. Not only did it manage to tell the same story in roughly half the time of Seven Samurai, it did a much better job of ratcheting up the suspense. At no point in Seven Samurai did it seem like the bandits could actually win; there was just an unbroken streak of victories for the protagonists. The Magnificent Seven remedied this major flaw. Also, the makers of The Magnificent Seven wisely created a strong, charismatic character to lead the bandits (Calvera, played by the awesome Eli Wallach), something the original film really could have used. Seven Samurai is a damn fine movie, no doubt about that, but the American version surpassed it.

Seven Samurai. Its remake pales in comparison.

Both good not great in my opinion. Seven Samurai has the very slight edge in my book.

Seven Samurai > The Magnificent Seven. However, I became aware of Seven Samurai as a kid because I saw Magnificent Seven and was told it was based on the remake. Sometimes, it takes Americanizing a foreign film for the rest of us to be aware of the predecessor. So, Standing Ovation to Akira Kurosawa, one of the great directors of all-time, and a special thanks to Magnificent Seven for letting the world know you weren't 1st.

The original is much better than the american remake.

Going with the 7 that started it all, and all team up movies after

DON'T MAKE ME CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!