Star Wars vs. Amadeus

7 comments

8 comments

on 4/5/2010

I know I might murdered by any big Star Wars fans out there for picking Amadeus, but Milos Foreman simply made a better film than Lucas. Yes, Star Wars in great, I even have it in my top 30 movies of all time, but Amadeus is an unforgettable masterpiece.

on 8/6/2010

I'm going to go against the grain here too and pick Amadeus it is a brilliant piece of work

on 12/31/2012

Amadeus.

on 6/3/2013

Star Wars for me.

on 6/3/2013

Star Wars far outshines Amadeus...

on 6/21/2013

Firstly, let me pay my respects to Star Wars. It revolutionized the film industry, and it's appalling that it lost best picture because its a sci-fi film. Without it, we wouldn't have any of the visual miracles of the past 20 years that people adore, including the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger and Life of Pi, Avatar, Hugo, etc. No one had seen anything like it before. This is a true classic. But I'm going with Amadeus, simply because it is the better film of the two. One of the greatest things about Star Wars is the creation of a whole new galaxy that developed into one of the world's largest franchises. And it's fascinating. This film itself is the best of the original 3 (I refuse to acknowledge the prequels) and needless to say it is incredible in the technical aspects. However, there are several problems. Despite great acting work from a supporting cast featuring Harrison Ford, Alec Guinness, and James Earl Jones (even if just for the awesome voice), the leads are a little flat. Mark Hamill is fine but not great, and Carrie Fisher struggles to pull off a convincing performance (with a terrible hairstyle, I might add). Neither are helped by a script with some terrible dialogue amidst a strong plot. This is what makes it so hard for me to critique this: there are some incredible lines in the film that have become instant classics, and the writers have done their research. In fact, scholars note the similarities between the themes and archetypes of this film and that of Homer's The Odyssey, Virgil's The Aeneid, King Arthur, etc. But even though these things exist, there are inconsistencies of the quality of the writing, especially in the dialogue. Maybe I'm missing out on something, but some of the exchanges between the leads seems cheesy and forced. This distracts slightly. All in all, Star Wars is a fantastic film whose faults otherwise wouldn't matter, except that we're comparing it to Amadeus. Debatably Milo Foreman's masterpiece, the film contains an intricately woven story about our personal relationship with the divine. While admittedly very long, Amadeus is superb in almost every single way. F Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce give outstanding performances as Salieri and Mozart. Needless to say, having a script adapted by the very writer who created the same Tony Award winning play doesn't hurt. The narrative is stunning, giving the audience an image of a man who loves God so much, and yet feels so betrayed by him that he turns his back. Throughout the film he narrates how Mozart was in his mind an incarnation of the divine. Real or just madness, this idea continuously haunts Salieri, and for good reason. Mozart is vulgar, egotistical, and offensive. But he is brilliant, and his work seems to come like child's play to him, which Salieri hates. For in his mind, how can he, a religious man who believes he does everything for god, be outdone by a vulgar monkey who mocks him at every turn. Salieri descends into madness, bent on killing Mozart. Gradually, he develops a plan to "triumph over God". Needless, to say, he fails. The irony is that while Salieri goes on to win all of the highest awards, it is Mozart that the people remember. A brilliant last moment is Salieri hearing the deceased Mozart laugh, implied to be God laughing at him. This is one of the best films of the decade. I love Star Wars, but like I said, Amadeus wins here.

on 6/22/2013

@Movie Nerd and tylerb12, but the discussion shows that both of you picked Star Wars

on 6/22/2013

I mean, I'm sure you two probably just switched. I was just a little confused because you argued in favor of Amadeus

on 6/22/2013

Correction, my bad Movie Nerd. You just didn't pick. Sorry.

on 7/26/2013

After viewing both films, I must say Star Wars is one spot above Amadeus.

on 11/3/2014

Well, Star Wars was THE cinematic revolution and THE childhood beast of my life. Amadeus may have been one of the funnest movies I've watched, but I ain't letting the Force down now.

on 11/3/2014

Star Wars

on 5/25/2015

Amadeus for so many reasons.

on 5/25/2015

Star Wars all the way.

on 12/12/2016

Amadeus wins. Mozart triumphant

on 11/7/2017

amadeus is incredible

on 7/21/2018

Amadeus for me, Star Wars the original was never my type..