Black Panther vs. Tomb Raider

3 comments

1 comments

Tomb Raider was fine, but it was also disappointingly formulaic. Vikander's performance is the only thing that stands out about the movie. Black Panther is a much, much more inspired piece of work.

No contest. Wakanda Forever.

Two perfectly okay movies, but both nothing special. Tomb Raider is incredibly generic and not very exciting, yet they did try and there’s a good father-daughter dynamic in the latter half. Black Panther is definitely more flawed. Weirdly paced, has out of place jokes and corny dialogue and some poor CGI. Yet, I thought it’s highs are a lot higher than Tomb Raider's highs. The characters worked well together and were all interesting and (call whatever you want to call me from saying this, I don’t care) there was some great social commentary that reflects the times and is portrayed brilliantly through the villain. While Black Panther is a mixed bag, Tomb Raider is consistently "meh". It comes down to this I guess; I saw Tomb Raider 2 hours ago and I’m already struggling to remember anything from it. Black Panther's complexity in its social commentary (No, I’m not a SJW. Yes, I am judging it as a film and not because it’s "important" or whatever) left far more of an impression on me then Lara Croft riding a bike through London with paint dripping on the ground.

Both films were underwelming imo. I know it seemed like everyone loved BP, but I'm not a big super hero guy to start with, and honestly, the film just didn't hold my attention like other super hero films have. That being said, I also didn't like Tomb Raider either, but at least I could get behind the story.