Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 vs. Return of the Jedi

3 comments

7 comments

Wanted to spark some conversation with this one. Here's my opinion. I LOVED Deathly Hallows 2. Loved it. I haven't ranked it, but when I do, it's going waaaay up there. And I'm aware that people are going to look at its placement on my list and chuckle. It's a movie about a kid wizard and his wizard friends and folks seem to look down on people that love these movies as much as the previous generation loves Star Wars. Return of the Jedi has its flaws, but I've seen in a ton of top 10's here. I accept it because I understand what Luke, Han, and Leia mean to these people. Why do people look down on those who care as much about HP's central characters? Is it because they're the new(ish) kids on the block?

JRM
JRM

I'll watch Deathly Hallows over any Star Wars movie any day. I loved that film. And the fact that Return of the Day is one of my least favorite Star Wars films makes this decision easier.

I totally agree with ToryK. Finally someone said that.

In response to ToryK, I am an old schooler, I was 4 when Star Wars came out; the original trilogy will be in my top movies forever. I also am a huge Harry Potter fan. Return of the Jedi is my least favorite of the original trilogy. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 may very well be my favorite HP movie (still deciding on that point). Is Deathly Hallows: Part 2 the better of the two? I believe it is. But will it ever reach Star Wars status on my top movies list… probably not. As to why people look down on Harry Potter fans? I have no idea. Same with Twilight. In my opinion, the books are the worst I’ve ever read. But I totally understand the fandom.

I haven't seen this particular Potter, but from Hell's heart I will take a stab at this question. I have seen the first few Potter flicks... didn't like them. The books came out when I was young (and still a "fuck you" type, plebian hating, captious contrarian) and I refused to read them because I associated them with nerdiness. My initial assessment may have been born from conceit, but I think it's an accurate one in a way. I mean the character design of HP just reeks 'unapologetic dork overlord'. Intentional, I'm sure, on the part of Rowling, but still quite alienating to some potential readers/watchers. In some people's cases I'm sure loving Star Wars and hating HP is just a mammoth pretension. In most cases, I suspect, nostalgia/seniority plays a huge part, a factor that obviously doesn't exist for HP. Would these same people see SW differently if they were to view it for the first time today, as a new film? I've asked myself this question many times and have, for a long while, refused to rewatch the trilogy for fear of seeing massive nerdiness in Luke. Despite that fear, I reckon a guy chopping shit up with a glowing sword that makes a badass whooshing sound is a just a bit cooler than a bespectacled dude with a bad haircut and a magical twig that doesn't make a whooshing sound. Yeah, for all my aateurish attempt at profundity, I think it just comes down to whoosh. ('Whoosh' may be inaccurate, but I'm not sure what the correct onomatopoeia is here. "Bzzz" seemed too mundane.)

Oh, oh, oh. Maybe it should be a port-manteau-cum-combomatopoeia. Like 'bzoosh, bzoosh' or "whoozh, whoozh".

None of the Harry Potter films are better than the sixth Star Wars, ROTJ FTW

Deathly Hallows, but it's a close one.

(On second thought, no it's not)

I always thought lightsabers sorta made a "Wown" noise.

Return of the Jedi is and always has been my favorite of the trilogy, and it easily beats HP.

ROTJ is also my favorite SW film, and Star Wars beats any Harry Potter

Deathly Hallows Part 2

Arrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg, hummmmmmmmmmmmm, i go with The Return of Jedi ^^

two films that were the final battle of these sagas that I found very beautiful. But I choose Return of the Jedi