Memento vs. Se7en

19 comments

20 comments

Two of the greatest thrillers I've ever seen. Se7en has that ending--jeez, what an ending!--but Memento's is something special, too, and I prefer that movie just a little....

Ouch, tough pick. I say Memento edges out the win slightly.

I'd give it to Se7en every day of the week. Memento had a big error (he had to learn how to survive without memory prior to his accident). In the end Se7en was better.

hell, i dont know. They are both pretty solid. Se7en I guess...

*blg

@MateoU2: The "error" you point out is actually addressed in the film. Leonard has his experience with Sammy Jankis to teach him about this condition, and it is explained that he can learn through repetition, almost like developing a habit. Anyway, coming across this one again, it continues to be a tough choice for me. I do believe that Se7en has the most well-written ending I've ever seen in a movie....

While I barely choose SE7EN, here's a bit of mind-blowing for either of you: David Fincher directing... a Chris Nolan script.

Never happen. But an interesting idea... I wonder what Fincher might have done with Inception.

Nolan Vs. Fincher. Masterpiece Vs. Masterpiece. Pearce Vs. Pitt. Twist Vs. Twist. Seriously a tough decision, but I liked Nolan's film slightly better than Fincher's.

Have to give it to Chris's Incredible direction and script

My God, this is rough. Memento it is....but not after contemplating for 5 minutes....

Holy crap this is hard. Memento is definitely a trip, and they are both instantly rewatchable. Still, the ending of Se7en gives me major chills every time I see it, and its incredibly well constructed and written. So Se7en it is.

Going with Memento for now.

Wow. Memento v. Seven. Dang. Tough choice. Loved both flicks.

Seven is easily David Fincher's best and I do love it, but Memento had me revisiting it more times to disect it's intricate plot. Both I would place in my Top 100 list.

Se7en but Memento is crazy good as well.

Memento was more intriguing and had a better ending (beginning?) Memento for the Win!

I gotta say I prefer the puzzle of Memento over the brilliant time-bomb that is Se7en.

Memento, but it's really really close

Memento is brilliant, but to me Se7en is the king of thrillers.

Memento for me.

Se7en wins for sure.

Memento. It ain't close.

I completely agree with MateoU2. Se7en is the more superior film, but I still like Memento.

Going with Se7en but Memento is also a great mystery thriller.

Se7en for me. I love the way Memento told it's story, it was truly original and brilliant. Se7en packs in one of the greatest movie twists in cinema history, plus amazing performances. And I like it better, so it wins.

Two awesome thrillers with great endings. For me, it's Memento and not even close.

Certainly an interesting matchup as Se7en has more than its share of fans. This is probably a matchup of two of the greatest modern day thrillers. For me, Memento wins easily.

Se7en by a whisker

Memento is the winner...

I saw both for the first time recently and it's fairly close but I gotta go with Memento. I think what puts it over the edge is the lead in Memento feels more real than Brad Pitt's character.

Memento has the edge here i find it more rewatchable

All-time great thriller matchup here. I vote for Se7en but Memento is still so amazing.

Love them both. Seven is the better movie though.

Memento.

Se7en is more epic for me.

Both are good crime thriller story films, but I'm picking Memento here.

Se7en is a decent watch but it coasts largely on atmosphere and visuals alone. The story, while interesting, doesn't seem to quite take full advantage of the themes it brings up. Memento may not be as stylish, but it's much more poignant and better scripted as a whole.

Se7en is a complete masterpiece and I can't dare to call memento that. It was good though.

Se7en without much of a doubt. It's well written and one of the best in cinematography

memento has a better twist but se7en was the better movie

Se7en has a deeper meaning behind it and great performances to back it up. Not saying that Memento doesn't tell a good story or have great performances but Se7en just hits harder for me.