The Lobster vs. The Killing of a Sacred Deer

0 comments

1 comments

on 3/4/2019

Two magnificent Arthouse films right here. Lobster is a fantastic surreal look into a dystopian world. It makes Hunger Games look like a cheesy child-ish fantasy- moreso than it actually is. The setting is dark and disturbing. The city may seem slightly normal to the cities we have at the moment at first glance, but there’s something very upsetting to it. The contrast between the three main locations (retreat, woods and city) is very good. And, although the message can be pretty muddled at times, it’s a good yet harsh lesson on modern love. Sacred Deer is near flawless on a technical and storytelling level. It’s a lesson in human selfishness and obsessiveness with some terrific and haunting religious themes. Martin was God-like as well as a personification of Steven’s reminder of guilt. Steve also ignored what was going on because he’s a man of science. Kim (the daughter) was a follower of Martin and, at one point, desired sex in a similar manner to her mother. Anna (the wife) didn’t have any symptoms but she worshipped Steven as a “false God” and Bob (the son) was the only innocent character but he was the only one who died. I also loved the little hints that play throughout the film to keep you guessing and it makes everything ambiguous. Lanthimos is an extremely talented director who I’m really looking to seeing where his career goes. Every frame to both of these movies are beautiful, he implies violence rather playing it as shock value (this makes The Lobster terrifying in aspects) and his use of symbolism in Lobster and Sacred Deer haven’t been matched by any other film in recent years. Even the concept of how he gets his actors to act awkward, stiff and robotic to make us more invested in the situation rather than being invested in the horrible characters we’re following has grown on me (although, it did put me off during my initial watch of Sacred Deer but it just adds to the unnatural and surreal atmosphere). I’ve meandered a bit in this discussion so I’m just going to end it by saying Sacred Deer wins for having a clearer message yet more things to dissect and analyse!