Scarface vs. Carlito's Way

5 comments

9 comments

I don't think many will agree with me here but I think Carlito's Way is better. It's so much more interesting to me.

I agree. Carlito's Way.

Scarface takes this one in the battle of type cast Pacinos!

Carlito's Way was a massive disappointment to me; all that build-up with a big ol' whimper of a finale. Plus, Sean Penn has never looked so ridiculous as he does in Carlito's Way. Scarface isn't as good as some make it out to be, but it has an undeniable energy, and Pacino has never been as audacious or iconic as he is in Scarface. Besides, how many people do you know quote Carlito's Way?

Scarface is easily the most overrated movie of the last - 30 years? (not sure when it was made and don't care enough to look it up). It has an iconic ending for sure, but everything else is ridiculous. It's also probably the genesis of Pacino's current style of "acting", which I think we can all agree is not a good thing. This is weird, but it always reminds me of the band Guns N Roses. This is most likely due to the fact that I saw so many dorm rooms with posters of Pacino in 'Scarface' opposite Axl Rose. They both strike me as completely overrated and falsely labeled as a "contemporary classics." Both feature talented artists beloved by people my age, are overly ambitious, have no depth, a few catchy quotes, and a fun "star". They are fleeting entertainment with no real message. Not saying 'Carlito's Way' is anything special, but to me it's more engaging (and not as long!). So...'Scarface' definitely the more memorable film, not necessarily the better film.

locomotivebreath...totally understand your repulsion by Scarface. For what it's worth, it was a bit of a disappointment for me too, especially given how many people told me "that's like my favorite movie, bro" (usually in those exact words). It isn't deep. It isn't subtle. But I liked its pace, and it DOES contain a few scenes that are, for me, undeniably iconic (not just the finale, but I'm thinking the chainsaw scene as well). Carlito's Way, on the other hand, is so abrasively pretentious and grandstanding that I gagged on its self-importance. The whole "I try to get out, but they keep pulling me back in" was both actually said and displayed better by Pacino in Godfather Part III (and that ain't exactly a masterpiece, either), and worst of all, Carlito's Way also contains the most ANNOYING lifeform on earth, one John Leguizamo. Every time I see that overacting hack on screen I want to punch a child; whatever you think of Scarface, at least it doesn't have Leguizamo, the cinematic equivalent of AIDS. Leguizamo + Jerrycurl Sean Penn = Thumbs Down. And for the record, I share your distaste for GNR.

Carlito is better. Scarface only boasts an iconic over-the-top performance by Pacino and the famous ending. It's message is put in a childish way (courtesy of Oliver Stone's always superficial, banal and plain bad writng) and it really becomes just another gangster film. On the other hand Carlito at least has a better and more composed performance by Pacino and an all-together better plot and better put message.

Scarface is cheesy...agreed, but it sticks with you. Carlito's Way? Good movie for sure...but not on a memorable level...at least fo rme.

No Contest, Carlito's Way.

De Palma/Pacino matchup. Scarface is my pick, but both are pretty damn amazing.

Scarface is not a very good movie, but i think Carlito's Way is not a glorious film to ...but i think Carlito Brigante is most charismatic gangster! and i pick Carlito's Way ...!

Damn i think personally Carlito's Way is the best Brian de palma Movie!

Scarface is interesting to watch again, but carlito's way is in a another level of greatness and awesomeness to rewatch, i pick carlito's way

ear
ear

Scarface is far more memorable and it has classic dialogue. It is the classic of the two.

Scarface has more unforgettable moments than Carlito's way, but Carlito's Way isn't as silly. Hard to decide... Carlito's way.

Scarface is more legendary and epic. Carito ways is very good but drags on. Carlito ways is better written and more cerebral but Scarface is stuff of legends. Scarface