Django Unchained vs. The Hateful Eight

14 comments

7 comments

The show down of the ages. Which is better of Quentin's Western films? They were both different from what I expected them to be. Their trailers were very miss leading, but that's good cause I find that trailers these days reveal to much of the film. While Django takes place before the Civil War, The Hateful 8 takes place afterwards, which I found interesting. Wonder if he'll make one during the Civil War now. haha Anyways they both had an amazing cast with cool special appearances. The amount of violence and blood seemed equal. Although Django might be more since they blow a horses head off in the beginning. In the end, for me, it boils down to the story and for me I have to give it to The Hateful 8. The reason is that to story was focused, for the most part, in one location and it was really cool to see how the characters were slowly revealed in each chapter of the film. Plus the ending was something I did not expect. They are both fantastic films!

I absolutely loved The Hateful Eight, but I gotta give it to Django. The fact that The Hateful Eight ended up second to last in my Tarantino rankings after my initial viewing just goes to show how great his body of work really is.

I thought The Hateful Eight was fantastic but Django Unchained is still my personal favorite Tarantino film. I would put The Hateful Eight towards the middle of Tarantino's filmography.

Django.

Django was one of my favorite QT movies, so it'll take the win.

Django definitely takes this one. The Hateful Eight's got great cinematography, fantastic performances and maybe the best writing the man's ever done. The freezing atmosphere and crazy suspense helps the film from ever really feeling dull, or dragging too much. But the execution of some of the plot events tends to be over exaggerated, even for being Tarantino, to the point of almost self-parody. Django is brutally violent too, sure, but never feels different from Tarantino's earlier films in those regards. In The Hateful Eight, it almost felt like he wanted to push the already extreme, over-the-top Tarantino-violence from the atmosphere and into the stratosphere. It doesn't work as well with a film that is largely dialogue driven, as opposed to more action oriented pieces like Kill Bill, or even Django in my opinion.

Django was shorter, but surprisingly it feels longer. Surprisingly the bloated movie out of these two.

I prefer the restricted, tight narrative of Hateful Eight.

Both sucks

Both great but Django is my choice (keep in mind I've only seen Hateful Eight once)

I think I'll pick H8 every time, but when I rewatch H8, there might be an upset.

JUDAS!!!

Django Unchained

Hateful Eight is one of Tarantino's best. Operative words being "one of" as Django Unchained is his magnum opus.

Django, although difficult to watch at times due to the racial overtones of this film, it's pacing is much better than Hateful 8, which seemed more intent on wowing us with "smart" dialogue than actually producing a better film through storytelling.

The Hateful Eight was mostly really good, but I think Tarantino may have gone a little too far with the violence. It doesn't ruin the movie or anything, just an issue I had. Django Unchained, on the other hand, may just be my favorite Tarantino film so it wins for me.

Django Unchained turns into a different and less interesting film in the third act. The Hateful Eight has some problems (the story is a little contrived and the random narration halfway through the film is distracting) but it's still a tighter film overall.

Django unchained, and both films are quite meaningful.

Django Unchained>Hateful Eight

ear
ear

The Hateful Eight is far better In my opinion.

Enjoyed both immensely, enjoyed Django just a tad more thanks to Waltz and DiCaprio

Tarantino has announced that he will retire after completing his 10th feature film. That would make his retirement nine films too late.

Hateful 8 all the way

Django !

I liked to think that Tarantino is supportive of gay rights because of the hateful 8. But Django Unchained wins..

The Hateful Eight didn't offend my history-buff's brain as thoroughly as Django. Eight is also more efficient, and slightly less excessive, which is a left-handed compliment.

Django is much better. Hateful is slow paced, worse characters and worse performances.

Django Unchained is in my opinion Tarantino’s best movie to date, whereas The Hateful Eight is in my opinion his worst movie. Neither one of them are bad my any means, but Django wins!

ear
ear

Django Unchained is over the top, entertaining and exposes all of Tarrantino's over indulgent weaknesses and his commercial strengths as a crowd pleaser. From a purely cinematic view The Hateful Eight is by far the superior film. I could write a dissertation on why The Hateful Eight is the more masterful film but I wouldn't change anyone's mind. I vote for The brilliant -"The Hateful Eight."

The Hateful Eight is probably better on a cinematography or just a technical level in general, but Django is all-around the better made movie. Better script, better characters, better performances, and the themes appealed to me more. Django takes this.