Frances Ha vs. Silver Linings Playbook

2 comments

0 comments

At first I was irritated by Frances Ha, probably because of the glaring Indie-ness of it all. Then I started to realize that I related to the Frances character. Mostly because I've always been the awkward one among the more conventional folks. While my peers (and friends) were doing normal life things I kind of just bopped along. Anyway, I guess Silver Linings Playbook is more entertaining in a regular way. These are both romance films, though Frances Ha is a girl bromance. I liked the romance better in Silver Linings. I liked the character (in some ways) more in Frances Ha. Maybe "like" isn't it. Her plight just spoke to me more.

I didn't really connect with Silver Linings like I thought I would. But I think Frances Ha is incredible. Beneath the bubbliness there is a lot of sadness. The screenplay out of the context of the film is very dark. I also related to the character of Frances. It's just a very unique film. The way it combines happiness, sadness, and friendship with the New Wave influence is strangely intoxicating.