Guardians of the Galaxy vs. The Avengers

29 comments

27 comments

on 7/22/2014

Avengers

on 7/31/2014

I'll honestly go with Guardians. Every big Marvel fan will probably point at me and laugh, but Guardians was simply more my kind of film. It's the funniest Marvel film to date and easily, EASILY the best looking one. The trailers made it look gorgeous to begin with, but it's even better in 3D and on a monstrous screen. Yeah, it's formulaic and the villains are weak, but eh; it bothered me much less here than it did in the Iron Man films or Thor. It's close, but people tend to forget that The Avengers has some pretty boring moments, especially in the first 30 minutes. Guardians on the other hand is almost consistently entertaining the whole way through. And oh, it didn't need movies with backstory for every character. Yeah, unfair snark, boo-hoo-hoo. The Avengers is still fun as fuck though.

on 8/1/2014

switching to Guardians have seen it 4 times and just keeps getting better most well rounded marvel film to date this is one hell of a winning streak for marvel.

on 8/1/2014

When it comes down to it I have to go with the most enjoyable film, and with that criteria this matchup isn't even close. Guardians was so great at so many things, and didn't take itself too seriously. As much as I would have liked the Avengers to be a good movie, it was just horrible.

on 8/1/2014

Guardians is the clear winner. :)

on 8/2/2014

Guardians is pure fun but it's not in the same league as Avengers.

on 8/2/2014

The Avengers is the clear winner IMO.

on 8/2/2014

I loved Guardians so funny deep and action packed felt almost like a star wars flick but In avengers I knew the characters more and they had back story hope they do a crossover film Right now either way Marvel is crushing DC!

on 8/3/2014

"Guardians" has a talking raccoon and a tree shooting people with rocket launchers. Both the sane and insane parts of my psyche enjoy that.

on 8/3/2014

Avengers all the way. However, Im glad people loves it. Unlike DOFP which is so overrated. But I don't agree with avengers needed 5 movies to provide backstory. One of the things which made avengers great that Joss managed to make the film so all the 5 movies werent needed

on 8/3/2014

I don't like either one as much as most people do but I think I'll go with The Avengers.

on 8/5/2014

Avengers was pretty damn awesome, but Guardians was downright perfection. The humor, character interaction, and action sequences were all fantastic, just slightly trumping those in Avengers. It felt like Avengers for most of it, but the characters were somehow more likable and arguably had better interactions and relationships with each other. Other movie makers, take note: THIS is how you introduce lesser-known characters to movie-goers!

on 8/5/2014

Honestly, Avengers and it's not really close. To make an analogy, Avengers is like a superb four course meal while Guardians is an all candy dessert. Some people love all sweets but I prefer balance. Avengers is just as fun but smarter, more intense and delivers far better action sequences.

on 8/5/2014

I haven't seen The Avengers in over a year and a half, but I think I've gotta give the win to it anyways. Both are a lot of fun though.

on 8/6/2014

Half of the Avengers were boring as all hell! All of the Guardians were so entertaining, clever, funny, and like able. Not to mention, it is also a much better paced film than the Avengers and it is just a stunning film visually! The Avengers is a fine action film, but I honestly find it to be quite forgettable. I will NEVER forget Guardians of the Galaxy!

on 8/6/2014

Half of the Avengers were boring as all hell! All of the Guardians were so entertaining, clever, funny, and like able. Not to mention, it is also a much better paced film than the Avengers and it is just a stunning film visually! The Avengers is a fine action film, but I honestly find it to be quite forgettable. I will NEVER forget Guardians of the Galaxy!

on 8/6/2014

on 8/6/2014

Avengers was awesome but Guardians was amazing. Nonetheless, both are hands down the best marvel movies to date. And don't get me wrong, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Spider-Man 2, and Iron man are great frickin' movies, but you are ignorant or in denial if you think they are better than these two films. You might have enjoyed them more, but they are not better. From a gross, technical, cinematic achievement standpoint, these two prevail. I am Groot.

on 8/7/2014

I adored Avengers and still do, but Guardians topped it for sheer fun, it comes close to a perfect movie for me.

on 8/7/2014

@Gilbert897 Saying that people are ignorant or in denial because of their opinion about two movies seems a bit elitist. Anyways I'm picking Avengers here, I enjoyed the action more and am simply more invested in the source material.

on 8/7/2014

Guardians is my favorite Marvel movie, so it narrowly beats The Avengers.

on 8/7/2014

@DaveIntheCave Yeah I may have spoke a bit too harsh lol… I actually tried to edit/delete my comment after I posted it, but I couldn't find out how. But since I can't delete it, I'm going to have to back it up! haha.. For example; I enjoyed The Usual Suspects and Reservoir Dogs more than The Godfather. I have them both ranked higher than The Godfather on my flickchart list. But I fully understand how both of those are not better films. And not just because they are ranked lower on every greatest movies list. And not just because every relevant film critic says The Godfather is better. But I can understand by watching The Godfather how much of a cinematic masterpiece it is. And I'm not saying Guardians of the Galaxy or The Avengers are masterpieces haha, I'm just saying that when compared to the other marvel films, they are on another level cinematically.

on 8/10/2014

The Avengers takes it. Seeing Loki tussle with the boys simply hasn't been topped yet. Though 2014 has been the best year for MCU movies - with two masterpieces. These movies just keep getting consistently better!

on 8/11/2014

Guardians for me, it gives me onner of my favortie Marvel film, it beats The Avengers

on 8/17/2014

Guardians of the Galaxy was more entertaining. Avengers was Iron Man making jokes and everybody else just trying to kick ass. Everyone in Guardians was entertaining.

on 8/17/2014

Guardians of the Galaxy was simply the more entertaining flick and therefore wins this battle, for me at least.

on 8/17/2014

Avengers was way gooder.

on 8/17/2014

I must be really out of touch with the zeitgeist. Damn.

on 8/19/2014

Both had great set-pieces and fun characters, but Guardians had a lot more jokes, and a much better dramatic resolution for a super-hero movie.

on 8/22/2014

Neither was perfect, but Guardians was actually good.

on 8/22/2014

I would lie to say that I did not mean to comment on this three times.....Just in case I look like a douche!

on 8/22/2014

I love how some people on here said it was definitely Avengers or hands down Guardians but their arrow points to the opposite movie. Might want to re-rank before posting.

on 8/25/2014

Both Fantastic! Avengers was #1 on my Marvel Movie List, but GotG has dethroned it, was tough fight at first, but once I saw Guardians a 2nd time I knew Avengers had to take a small step down.

on 8/25/2014

"I must be really out of touch with the zeitgeist. Damn." Yeah, me too. I mean, I had a good time with Guardians. A real good time. That's to be expected with James Gunn. But, uh, I'm not sure what's going on here.

on 9/20/2014

Loved Guardians, no doubt about that,

on 9/20/2014

Loved Guardians, no doubt about that,

on 9/20/2014

Loved Guardians, no doubt about that, I just didn`t happen to love it as much as everyone else. I did love The Avengers every bit as much as one possibly could though and I, personally, fhttp://www.flickchart.com/images/submit-comment.gifind it to be the superior film.

on 9/20/2014

.........OMG stupid comment system......

on 10/8/2014

Avengers sucks a bit more

on 10/9/2014

I think The Avengers does the least of fhe Marvel movies I like. It's just popcorn fun, while stuff like Guardians, IM3 and Cap 2 are better written and directed. They say things about stuff, which is more than I can say for The Avenfers (WHICH I STILL LIKE A LOT CALM DOWN)

on 11/20/2014

The avengers obviously, guardians was good and very funny, but too unprofesional, never could take it seriously neither as an action film a comedy film or a superhero movie

on 12/1/2014

GotG. The team makes more sense together, there's a better balance of abilities and personalities. The Avengers are too segregated. Iron Man, Thor, and the Hulk are seriously tough, while Captain America, Black Widow, and Hawkeye are kind of useless comparatively speaking. I know, I know, Cap's supposed to be the leader, but shouldn't Thor, with like a thousand years of experience leading armies and fighting wars against super-human enemies, be just as skilled at tactical command? Also, Black Widow and Hawkeye aren't even Avengers! They kind of just tagged along for the ride; which is sad, because they're also my favorites.

on 12/13/2014

Avengers. It was more action packed. But GOTG was still great and funny.

on 12/28/2014

As a long-time Marvel fan, I am pleased to say that I enjoyed both immensely, but "The Avengers" definitely had better action, characters and chemistry, with a much tighter story and more focused structure. Not much of a comparison.

on 1/5/2015

Guardians all the way. Love the characters -- much more originality to it, even though they both suffer from the battle with thousands of baddies fatigue.

on 2/1/2015

Avengers is the far better film. It's insane to even compare GOTG to Avengers let alone call it better. GOTG is light fluff with limited action sequences whereas Avengers is still the best movie the genre has ever produced.

on 3/4/2015

Guardians of the Galaxy

on 3/15/2015

Guardians has more humor and less cheese, though the grand fight scenes are a little less spectacular.

on 5/4/2015

Guardians............who!? Guardians...ya know...best marvel movie??

on 7/30/2015

Very close but I'm going with the majority here on Guardians

on 8/3/2015

I'm going with Guardians

on 8/11/2015

In terms of directing and production values, 'Guardians of the Galaxy' was better. In terms of writing and acting, 'The Avengers' was better.

on 8/11/2015

In terms of directing and production values, 'Guardians of the Galaxy' was better. In terms of writing and acting, 'The Avengers' was better.

on 8/23/2015

GotG easily.

on 10/31/2015

Avengers just crushes Guardians. Sorry hipsters.

on 11/15/2015

I love guardians but I love avengers more

on 4/3/2016

"Guardians of the Galaxy" is basically Space Avengers and is REALLY great (my favorite movie of 2014), but "The Avengers" is still even better

on 5/30/2016

Love them both. I think I like Avengers more. Both are top 5 MCU creations.

on 6/20/2016

Guardians easily.

on 1/24/2017

Guardians of the Galaxy.

on 6/8/2017

Guardians is more fun. Has a better sense of its characters coming together and bonding.

on 6/8/2017

Avengers just crushes GOTG. Can't even comprehend anyone calling it even closely. Avengers does EVERYTHING better.

on 6/9/2017

Let's be honest; both of these films are overrated! Avengers is average at best. It's very run of the mill and there's too much action and CGI without room to breathe. Guardians is also run of the mill and it overuses action and CG. I will go with The Avengers because there was actual character development (even if I had to watch 5 films to get it) and clear motivations, unlike Guardians where every character only had one trait without being fully explored!

on 8/20/2017

Does Congress need term limits? Well???

on 8/26/2017

Both are excellent superhero films but I have to go with Guardians