Drive vs. War Horse

6 comments

1 comments

Probably THE hardest match-up I've had to decide on since I've been on here. Drive is a work of art and a gritty love letter to the 80's that really spoke to me. War Horse is just pure cinematic magic from my all time favorite director. I could go on like this weighing it out for an eternity. War Horse wins but only by inches in a photo finish. Steven Spielberg, you are the greatest director of them all, living or passed. My hat's off to you, good sir.

War Horse was corny in the worst ways. A horrible film!

JRM
JRM

War Horse was amazing. Just not as amazing as Drive.

Even though War Horse caused me to tear up in a few spots, it still doesn't have the power of Drive.

War Horse isn't bad, but it certainly isn't among Steven Spielberg's best. I have to go with Drive.

War Horse is nowhere near Spielberg's best, and having seen the stage production (which was a wonderful experience) I think it's fair to say that most of the problems with War Horse are inherent to the original source material (I haven't read the book so can't say for sure, but considering how close the play and film are to each other, I'm fairly sure that's a fair comment). The best bits about War Horse are of course John Williams' score, which is wonderfully Wagnerian and emotionally manipulative as always (and I mean that in a good way), and Janusz Kaminski's beautiful cinematography, which really does the West Country proud! However, both of these plus everything else in Drive is either on a par or much better. Spielberg may be my favourite director of all time, but Drive easily wins.

Come on guys, it goes without saying that War Horse isn't one of Spielberg's best. He has made many classics. War Horse came out only 2 years ago. As for which film I prefer I'd have to go with Drive although War Horse is excellent in my opinion.