Psycho vs. North by Northwest

17 comments

10 comments

No comments about action/adventure Hitchcock vs. scary Hitchcock? A very close call for me; both good movies, not exactly great. I know Psycho has the reputation, but let's face it; for someone who came up in a generation where so many of the devices used in Psycho were ripped off and used in the service of much more explicit fare, it seems tame. North by Northwest, while the special effects are a bit clunky by today's standards, is a fun ride, constructed of strong setpieces, with fun banter and a great star turn from Cary Grant. I give it the slight edge.

"When I was just a little baby boy my Mama use to tell me these crazy things/ She used to tell me my Daddy was an evil man, she used to tell me he hated me/ But then I got a little bit older and I realised she was the crazy one/ And there was nothin' I could do or say to try to change it cause that's just the way she was." Psycho by a knife-edge.

Going with Psycho. So many iconic scenes.

I decided to rerank Psycho and it had to come up against NXNW. Ugh, tough choice.

Hitchcock's second adn third best movies. I'll go with NxNW.

GOing with Psycho, much more entertaining

Anthony Perkins' great performance alone makes Psycho the easy winner here. North by Northwest is really dragged down by its running time. The movie is simply way too long.

North by Northwest is great. Psycho is better.

Well, seeing that NxNW is the best movie ever, it wins this battle and any other. Cary Grant's best and wittiest performance, Hermann's exhilirating score, memorable scene after memorable scene, and perfect pacing and loads of twists and turns makes this an amazing viewing experience.

Psycho is the better movie, but I can admit that NBN is more entertaining

Both are great, but I personally prefer North by Northwest, which remains my favorite Hitchcock film.

Psycho is much better in my opinion.

Somehow I have a harder time buying "fun" Hitchcock than suspenseful dark Hitchcock. Psycho is absolutely joyless so there you go.

Psycho all the way.

psycho blew me away.but north by north west was just disappointing

Both are fanfuckingtastic, but I think I liked North by Northwest just a little bit more.

Psycho without hesitation.

As far as I'm concerned, Psycho is second only to Vertigo in Hitchcock's grand filmography.

Psycho all day.

These are now my two favorites from Hitchcock and they sit right next to each other in my top 25. Psycho is the winner.

They both have one thing in common in terms of what type of movie they are and that is suspense. As much as North By Northwest kept me at the edge of my seat Psycho kept my eyes glued to the screen and my body jumping out of the seat.

Psycho knocks NBN out of the park, which itself is a great film. Psycho, Vertigo and Rear Window are in a near unmatchable state.

Gotta go with the majority. Psycho wins here...

North by Northwest.

It's kind of odd becoming older and seeing myself agree more and more with UncleFok's "extreme" opinions but, yeah, the joyless one is better.

I maintain that Hitchcock was at his est when he didn't try to make "big points" or "important films." These are my two favorite Hitchcock's, and they are opposite sides of his filmmaking spectrum: small, intimate, and tense vs. large, vastly-plotted, and awesome.

Wooooow, by a bit isn't my 10,000th ranking! NXNW is my favorite Hitch movie ever.

North by Northwest is Hitchcock's masterpiece imho. Psycho is very good too of course, but not 'quite' perfect the same way NBNW is imo.

Both top-tier Hitchcock for me, but I've always enjoyed North by Northwest the most out of filmography I've seen. It's consistently amusing, has so many thrills and iconic shots that still entertain me. Psycho is really good too.