Princess Mononoke vs. My Neighbor Totoro

4 comments

3 comments

Personally, I really like the older Miyazaki stuff a lot better than the newer stuff that has made his popularity in America boom. Totoro might be my favorite animated movie

See, I'm just the opposite. Kiki's Delivery Service and Totoro are only cute little diversions when compared to Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. And I'm one of the few that has a soft spot for Ponyo. I found it more charming than My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. Don't get me started on Nausicaa, though. To this date, it remains the only Hayao Miyazaki film I haven't enjoyed. Long story short: I choose Princess Mononoke.

My Neighbour Totoro is much better than Mononoke.

Princess Mononoke is eons better than Totoro. One is in the bottom two least favorite Miyazaki movies, the other is my absolute favorite.

You got Totoro, a spirit of the forest and the actual freakin' forest spirit! Mononoke is much more entertaining and has a more engaging plot. Totoro has really slow beginning but Mononoke is just straight in there with that boar. I prefer Mononoke over Totoro. It has a message about environmental care and that is something more important to come away from the film with rather than a catchy theme tune in your head.

It's always hard to vote against Totoro. But for Mononoke and a select couple of the others, I usually do.

WOW, antagonist117 has the same profile picture that I do and I thought mine was unique!! Anyways, I have zero difficulty in picking My Neighbour Totoro which is now at the very top of my favourite movies chart. I personally found myself underwhelmed in Princess Mononoke (shocking, I know) but it could certainly improve on repeat viewings. For now, Totoro is the simple choice and I doubt that even if I loved Mononoke, that love would be on the same plane as my love for Totoro.

Mononoke is my favorite Miyazaki that I've seen so far.

I lean towards Totoro...but I don't really love either...

I don't really like either of these that much. Princess Mononke and Totoro are also barely even in these fucking films considering their names are in the titles. I guess Totoro for being less preachy.

the movie wins Princess Mononoke