The Motorcycle Diaries vs. The Boys From Brazil

2 comments

2 comments

on 7/23/2010

The Boys From Brazil vs. The Boys From Argentina. In one film we see the decline of a Nazi scientist, in the other, the beginnings of a Marxist revolutionary. Despite those links they're very different films. Even though I find the moral lessons learned in The Motorcycle Diaries to be heavy-handed, we're almost told the correct conclusions to draw. The Boys From Brazil starts off good, but then spirals downhill with the sheer ludicrousness of the plot to the mini-Hitler and attack dogs conclusion. I vote Marx.

ear
ear

on 7/23/2010

The Motorcycle Diaries is quite compelling and easily wins here.

on 7/15/2011

I disagree with both of you - i found the Boys from Brazil to be extremely entertaining albeit over-the-top while the Motorcycle Diaries was more of a "message" film that seemed a bit too preachy for its own good. It took itself too seriously while Boys from Brazil was sheer entertainment. I also found it a great pleasure to watch the two great veteran actors - Gregory Peck and Sir Laurence Olivier, both seeming to relish these roles that were quite different from what we are accustomed to seeing from them.

on 10/29/2015

I agree with kookio. I found Motorcycle Diaries to be dull and preachy. Boys From Brazil does meander into fantasyland for the last third of the movie, but it isn't boring. And Olivier is delightful in it.