Toy Story 3 vs. Toy Story

36 comments

34 comments

Wow. Let me start off by saying that Toy Story 3 is an amazing film. Everything about it just works. It may indeed be better than the first but I cannot in good conscience pick it over Toy Story without another viewing. I would however, pick it over the second one. All three have a permanent place in my top 100. Toy Story = Toy Story 3 > Toy Story 2.

JRM
JRM

Toy Story 3 was fantastic.. Right now I'm picking it over the original. May change tomorrow.

ear
ear

The original still has my heart.

Perhaps it's due partly to the smaller cast, but Toy Story feels more personal, more focused than Toy Story 3. In Toy Story 3, our main cast has been whittled down, and yet the cast has ballooned to Pixar's largest yet. This is both a blessing and a curse for it. While I welcome the new additions, particularly standouts like Ken and all of Bonnie's toys, each of the characters is allowed only to play a bit-part and thus it's hard to latch onto any of them. Even Lotso, the new arrival given the most screen time, just doesn't ring as true as past characters. He serves much the same function as Stinky Pete did in the second and we are told more of his character and back-story than Stinky Pete's, but he isn't allowed adequate room to breathe. Yet, at the same time, I feel Toy Story 3 could have benefited from focusing more on its core cast. When they all banded together at the end is when the movie hit its stride. And there was a time or two when the new characters felt to me like little more than roadblocks placed between these characters we've come to know and love. Similar roadblocks separated them in the first two, but they feel a little more, for lack of a better word, contrived in Toy Story 3. The distance between Woody and the others at the beginning felt a little hollow. And the first time I saw it, I felt as if it was almost like Woody had been replaced by Buzz Killington or something. Even after the second viewing, he doesn't seem nearly as three dimensional and human as in the first two, at least not for about the first half. Ironic, isn't it, considering the fact that Toy Story 3's the first to be made with 3D in mind. Now, rather than ramble further, I'll just conclude by saying this: Toy Story 3, like Toy Story 2, has the edge in humor but, unlike Toy Story 2, it doesn't have the edge in heart or quality over Toy Story. For that, Toy Story wins.

Personally it has to be Toy Story just because I have had this movie with me since 1995. I will admit to Toy Story 3 tugging on my heart strings but I think that was their goal and tried to get the emotional reaction. It may change but I think Toy Story is the better one.

ear
ear

Charyou_ Tree defines exactly why Toy Story still reigns supreme over a strong sequel.

JRM
JRM

Changed. Back to the first. And Toy Story 3 has slowly dropped out of my top 50.

...... goddammit

For being the first of its kind, and starting the franchise, I would have to pick Toy Story, although I haven't seen it in a good few years.

WBV
WBV

Toy story first is better

WBV
WBV

yo someone talk to me

WBV
WBV

BY BY BY BY BY BY BY BY BY

ive thought about this one a lot. a love both films so much. but im going to go with toy story 3 only because of the fire scene. ill never forget the feeling i had when i was watching that. and my mom would cry at anything, but when she starts to cry just talking about a movie (like she did when talking about story 3) well that says something about the power of a movie.

These are some of the greatest animated films, or even just films in general, to ever grace the silver screen. In the end, I choose Toy Story 3 over the original, but on my flickchart, there is actually only one film inbetween them.

I may be alone on this one, but I actually think BOTH sequels were better than the original.

Toy Story 3. It's the best of the three and also the best pixar movie, along with Up.

Wow... Not an easy choise, but I belive Toy Story 3 is a perfect way to end the franchise :P

This is perhaps the finest contest I've got from Flickchart. I can watch both films anytime and my opinion may change anytime. I might give the edge to Toy Story 3 as it was an amazing conclusion to an artful trilogy. It also did have far more characters such as Jessie and Ms Potatohead. So 3rd one for now but my opinion could change in a few minutes

Toy Story 3.

The original was my childhood experience, not the threequel.

Terribly hard matchup. Toy Story was THE movie of my childhood. I've seen it more than any other film, and because of that, it's an incredibly personal movie for me. Toy Story 3 is indeed the perfect ending to a tremendous series, but it's very difficult for me to put it above the original. I'm going against what I usually do and picking with my heart instead of my head on this one.

I pick Toy Story 3. I love the original but the newest one was really funny.

The First 2 Toy Story Films over Toy Story 3 everyday so no contest.

Gosh. I had waited 10 years to see Toy Story 3. I ended up seeing it with a girl on a semi-date (I guess that's what you can call it), and it was the greatest combination. Girls, and Toy Story. Yes.

^Not at all related to Toy Story, but your story made me think of this, and it's almost Valentine's Day. In college my girlfriend was coming over to my place for Valentine's day, and I was supposed to do dinner and get her a gift and we were going to watch her favorite movie, Titanic. I forgot about Valentine's day, so there was no food, Titanic or gift. I quick ran to the corner store and grabbed the first Valentine's day thing I could find (which ended up being those cards you sign and trade in primary school). When she got there, she was legitimately upset by her crappy gift and no food or movie, so she told me to just put in a good movie. I picked out my favorite movie at the time, Requiem for a Dream (probably because I'm an idiot) which is not romantic nor happy. The movie put her in a mood where "that thing you do on Valentine's day" was out of the question because the movie made her feel bad and dirty (gross dirty not fun dirty). Wow, worst boyfriend ever... I pick Toy Story 3.

Toy Story started it all. Toy Story 3 may be the better movie but out of respect for my childhood I'm going with the first one.

Toy Story 3 is better in my opinion. They are both AMAZING films but Toy Story 3 just captured my whole childhood in its grasp at the end. Toy Story started it all but the graphics in 3 are far supreme and the story is more appealing for a larger audience. Lotso actually has a proper back-story while Sid (and Stinky Pete) didn't as much. The only thing better with the original is the songs/music. Toy Story 3 is one of my favourite films of all time!

Top 20 filter: TS 3 was amazing despite the original being a childhood movie I'll give it to TS 3 since it wrapped up my childhood perfectly

TS 3 for now....Its everything great about the original plus more

3 is the weakest of the trilogy, but still amazing though.

The more I watch TS3....the better it gets. We can't lose here...

All three are right next to each other on my chart. I think that 2 is better than 1 and 3 is better than 2.

Toy Story 3 did make me pretty emotional and is possibly a greater film than the original. However Toy Story has been with me longer and I have watched it loads. I couldn't do the same with 3.

Having just rewatched the trilogy in the last few days the first one is now my favorite followed closely by 3 then 2 right after that. i don't know what it was, but the first one really clicked this time. All three are top 20 though.

This is indeed a hard match-up. I've only seen Toy Story 3 once, so naturally I have the benefit of experience with the first one over the third one. I'll give it to the original for the time being, if only because I thought the finale was a bit overhyped.

The original will always be my favorite.

Toy Stawy.

About of most the off of going for more interest of latfits of pixer were on to peck that out about of Toy Story which it was often just in tumout of ifing polex Toy Story 3 was great dersqeual showing off in goodful

^The best thing on any site ever.

Three has more historic than last ones

over top

The original is the best thanks to its plot-simplicity. The rivalry between Buzz and Woody was comic gold which ended with this film. All three films are great in their own right, but this one was groundbreaking.

toy story 3 was very well made it just lacked in laughs which is why the firs tone is much better.

All of the films in the Toy Story trilogy are pretty much on equal ground in terms of quality, but the first one wins for now.

sorry to the general audience, but new beats old. even though TS 3 started off extremely excitingly only to lead to boringness.

The 3rd one was the weakest

I'm sorry, but this isn't even a question. Toy Story is one of the best Pixar movies. No matter how hard Pixar tried, they couldn't top the original with any of their sequels.

I think Toy Story the original was the least powerful despite it being one of Pixar's best and brightest. Toy Story 3 on the other hand was the best animated film ever and just like The Lego Movie and Up, it was very powerful and touching. Not saying Toy Story 1 and 2 weren't. It's my favorite animated film of all time. And I can't get enough of it.

i have seen toy story 5 times and toy story 3....7 TIMES!!!!! both are great but the last scene of toy story 3 when the toys hold each others hand and accept their approaching death for me is the greatest movie scene ...toy story 3 wins

i have seen toy story 5 times and toy story 3....7 TIMES!!!!! both are great but the last scene of toy story 3 when the toys hold each others hand and accept their approaching death for me is the greatest movie scene ...toy story 3 wins

3>1

Not even close. Toy Story 3 is my second least favorite by Pixar. Toy Story is top 5 animation.

Toy Story 3 has to win. *sniff*

Toy Story 3 was the absolute perfect end to the franchise. Why they are making a fourth one I do not know.

Couldn't agree more with lukiushaufoy. 3 was a perfect conclusion. Though it will nice to revisit the characters in the 4th film, it's probably unnecessary. I am excited to see it, though.

Toy Story 3 beats every other Pixar movie for me. Period. Toy Story is no exception - not that I dislike Toy Story, as it's currently at #21 on my FlickChart, but TS3 is just so good...

They are both absolute piles of shit. But toy story three is the worst thing that ever existed

Toy Story 3 is Pixar's Best!

Toy Story 3 is Pixar's Masterpiece!

In all honesty, I never liked TS3, while I kinda always liked Cars 2. The original Toy Story abuses both though.

ooh tough one!!! omg! erm....toy story 3!

Toy Story

Toy Story was an OK film at best, and Toy Story 3 was A. MA. ZING. It was better in every way. This isn't debatable.

I often enjoy the third the most, overall all three are amazing but I perfer TS3 here.

Toy Story 3 was better of all of their destiny...

My two favourite animated movies. Toy Story 3 is damn great with its story, animation and casting but I prefer the original. Why? Because it was the first and feels more scaled down. But honestly, as TS1 is currently at #40 and TS3 is at #41 on my chart, I had to sit down and really think about these two. And I only finished TS3 about 10 minutes ago so that makes it a little tough!

Toy Story 1 for me. I loved Toy Story 3, but it didn't capture my heart as good as Toy Story 1 did.

Absolutely love all 4 films of the impact franchise.

Don't see how 3 is winning (though it's really good)... Toy Story 1 is easily better.

TS3(one of the best third movies) > TS1(one of the most influential animated movies) > TS2 (great sequel just not as good as 3 or 1) >>> TS4(still decent but by far the weakest of the 4)

Toy Story 3 is a solid contender for the best Toy Story, and the best Pixar movie. While I think that Toy Story 2 is better, 3 fully immerses itself in its darker tone, and directly follows up on the themes of the second movie. Toy Story 3 also easily has the best antagonist of any of the Toy Story movies. The original Toy Story was great, but it wasn't as emotional or interesting as its first 2 sequels. Both are great, but Toy Story 3 is better to me.

I do like Toy Story 3 but the original is much better.

Both of these are two of my top ten movies of all time. But I'm going to give the edge to Toy Story 3 because it ended out the Andy trilogy the best way possible in such an emotional way. Toy Story 3 was also hilarious, but heartbreaking at the same time. It also has the best Pixar villain in my opinion, with Lotso. He had such a warm feeling, but then his tragic backstory is revealed and you feel for him, until he starts to destroy other toys, which is my favorite aspect of the movie is the prison break part and how Woody devises a plan with his newfound friends and how to break everyone out. It also has one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a movie which is the incinerator scene. Finally, the ending scene is one of the saddest scenes I've ever witnessed in a movie. But on the other side is Toy Story, which revolutionized animated movies. It also has a great opening scene with a bunch of memorable quotes like, To Infinity and Beyond and This Is Falling in Style. It also introduces a bunch of iconic characters like Woody, Buzz, Bo Peep, Slinky, Rex, Mr. Potato Head, and Hamm, who are all funny characters. The music is also good in this movie with songs like Strange and You Gotta Friend in Me. You also have Sid who is a solid Pixar villain, plus Pizza Planet. The best scene of the movie to me is in the final act when Woody gets all of the tortured toys to band together to save Buzz and get revenge against Sid for everything he had done to them. So, this is a very tricky decision, but I've got to go with Toy Story... 3

Toy Story >= Toy Story 3 >>> Toy Story 2 > Toy Story 4

For me the best Toy Story 3 because the best chapter of the saga